2004 Passat TDI opinions

SHughes

Too much is never enough!
2004 BHW 2.0l VW Passat GLS Tdi w/ 156k miles-$7,750

Opinions?
What to look for before buying?
Known Problems??

Camshaft and balance shaft are the two main issues. Some cars had torque converter issues, some didn't. Seems to be hit/miss.

They also like to eat outer CV boots, but they're easy to change and cheap so not a deal breaker.

2004 BHW 2.0l VW Passat GLS Tdi w/ 156k miles-$7,750

Known Problems??

As mat said the balance shaft modules go bad and the upgraded gear driven unit is a $2500 fix (P&L).

Engine mounts commonly go, and the auto transmission is barely up to the task.

As mat said the balance shaft modules go bad and the upgraded gear driven unit is a $2500 fix (P&L).

Engine mounts commonly go, and the auto transmission is barely up to the task.
The balance unit is easily replaced with the standard oil pump setup from the jetta's/golf's though for only $200 in parts. The vibration increase is minimal at absolute most. Most of my customers can't tell.

Motor mounts are ~$225 a set. Not terrible considering the miles they make it. The updated ones will outlast the body of the car. I'd bet $20 that the motor mounts in almost any diesel pickup could stand to be replaced after 150Kmi but no one does haha.

A $250 tq converter rebuild from Eriksson Industries takes care of the trans issues. The trans is actually relatively robust. I've only seen 2 fail, one was from a passat tuned up to 220hp/400+ft/lbs though so I can't be too mad at that one.

Back