2006 Cummins alternator

wannabecummins

Baloney Tugboat
Alright so a friend of mine just gave me her alternator on her truck with 70,000km's on it because it failed. I thought that was too low to be bad so i asked for it so i could pull it apart and see what is wrong with it. Tonight i get it and the pulley is puzzling me. The center is all splined internally. If you spin the alternator and hold the pulley the rotor keeps turning. It's almost like an insert is missing there. Anyone know what the reasoning behind this is? i will take pics tomorrow and post to show what i mean

here's some pictures
Dodge087.jpg

Dodge086.jpg

Dodge084.jpg

is there something missing there? 0r can someone explain why it is splined? is it a one way clutch type deal?

here's some pictures
Dodge087.jpg

Dodge086.jpg

Dodge084.jpg

is there something missing there? 0r can someone explain why it is splined? is it a one way clutch type deal?

No there is nouthing missing my company rebuilds alternators,what you need is the socket to spin that pulley off, i had to order the tool through one of my dealers.

Is this why my truck makes that squeak sound when it shuts down?

Is this why my truck makes that squeak sound when it shuts down?

It very well could be i have had a few trucks through and it was the clutch pulley makeing the noise and, and on others it was something else, but i am not going to say yes or no because i have not seen it.

Well its been making the same noise the whole 40K that ive had the truck.

Back