2006 Piss Poor MPG

Cbush314

I just bought this truck and Im pretty dissapointed with the MPG im getting. The truck has 228k, Efi Live, Fass 150, 100hp injectors, 4 inch TBE, and I havent got over 14 MPG. Now there has been some "spirited driving" but FML... My stock 03 with an exhaust would get like 18-20 MPG. Any thoughts?

"spirited" driving with a tune and bigger injectors/fuel pump will get you a pretty bad mpg figure.

You don't say?? I run a lot of highway and I'm lucky to hit 450 miles on a tank.

My dad's 06 can barely muster 15mpg. With only about 100k miles on the clock, all that's been done to it is a hot street tune from Les at Silver Bullet, Airdog 165, CFM+ intake and a built transmission. Stock injectors, turbo, CP3, etc with only 35" tires and a 4.10 rear. It's not driven hard much at all. He probably gooses it here and there but nothing extreme. Of course, he's not too happy and wants to milk every mile out of it he can. Had Les build a "mileage" tune for us and it didn't change one bit so we just loaded the street tune back in it. Only other thing I can think of is a free-spin kit of some sort. Hell, getting 1mpg out of that would be damn lucky.

Just throwing it out there, but maybe it depends on the truck? I get right around 18 on a trip mostly highway with mine with F4's and 37's. Hand calculated while the lie-o-meter says 24-25mpg.

My 05 dually 4x4 6 speed and 4:10 rears all stock minus exhaust gets between 13-15 mpg. Towing the pulling truck it gets 9-10. I wish it got better too but you know it does the job, runs 75mph loaded so it is what it is I reckon. Takes fuel to feed horsepower. I do wish I had different gears in my truck though.

I just ran 450 miles empty at 74 mph and got 15 mpg. That is about all I can ever get out of it. Friend of mine has a 2012 68RFE 4x4 we just deleted and gets 19.5 mpg. I am not sure why, but it seems like the 600/610 motors get the lowest of them all. I did get 8 mpg at 26k gross weight which I was pretty happy with since there was a pretty good wind drag on it too and had a bunch of hills.

Tobin

The 68 trans has better overdrive than the 48 does. It's really good if he has the 342 gear in it too.

I get around 15 mostly city driving between work and school. I have 60% jets, 67/87, smarty on 2 because my stroker pump started leaking and I'm running a stock pump. Stock 3:73 and 35" all terrains manual transmission. On the highway if I drive real nice and am unloaded I can get a little over 21. All that's hand calculated, overhead says like 23

Call me skeptical, but 21 mpg on 35's............ Never have I ever. I've barely beat that with a 2wd on 265's straight highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the deal with these, driving style. My truck dyno's consistently at about 900 hp, and driven gently has been over 20, on the highway. But if I get antsy and start putting my foot in it, it drops, hard. 165 injectors, twin pumps, turbos, efi by Ryan. 35" tires, leveled.

It also likes being driven 60 mph. If you drive faster, even 65-70, it looses mileage quickly.

Last edited:
Back