2007.5 6.7 help please

smokin1997

I Know Nothing
I have a buddy that I helped do an H&S EGR and EGR cooler delete, along with the Smarty a couple months ago and now the truck has a big problem. It is bone stock other than a DPF delete and the ERG stuff gone with the Smarty which. For the first couple weeks it ran fine, now he cannot drive it more than a couple blocks without it bowing coolant all over the engine bay. Upper radiator hose tightens up and overflow bottle overfills. It runs cold and and blows ice cold air then suddenly overheats.

He has taken it to the dealer several times and this is what they have done:

1st time taken in the thermostat got replaced. Picked it up and went to drive home and same problem. Took it back

2nd time he took it back they said it would have to be a head gasket, ran every test they could, drove it , and said the head gasket is good and nothing was wrong. He picked it up and still had the same problem. Took it back

3rd time they replaced the fan clutch and said was all good. Again, he picked it up and went to drive home and still the same problem.

This last time they found an air pocket in there somewhere, added 1.5 gallons of coolant. He actually made it home the 40 miles to his place last night with it. Got in this morning, drove 10 miles, and once again he had the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what is going on here?

Last edited:
I have a buddy that I helped do an H&S EGR and EGR cooler delete, along with the Smarty a couple months ago and now the truck has a big problem. It is bone stock other than a DPF delete and the ERG stuff gone with the Smarty which. For the first couple weeks it ran fine, now he cannot drive it more than a couple blocks without it bowing coolant all over the engine bay. Upper radiator hose tightens up and overflow bottle overfills. It runs cold and and blows ice cold air then suddenly overheats.

He has taken it to the dealer several times and this is what they have done:

1st time taken in the thermostat got replaced. Picked it up and went to drive home and same problem. Took it back

2nd time he took it back they said it would have to be a head gasket, ran every test they could, drove it , and said the head gasket is good and nothing was wrong. He picked it up and still had the same problem. Took it back

3rd time they replaced the fan clutch and said was all good. Again, he picked it up and went to drive home and still the same problem.

This last time they found an air pocket in there somewhere, added 1.5 gallons of coolant. He actually made it home the 40 miles to his place last night with it. Got in this morning, drove 10 miles, and once again he had the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what is going on here?

This engine has a blown head gasket. This same scenario has happened over 50 times that i know of. To this day a dealer has yet to diagnose a 6.7 with a blown head gasket without pulling the head. Either way it is done and needs to be replaced.(Guaranteed)

This engine has a blown head gasket. This same scenario has happened over 50 times that i know of. To this day a dealer has yet to diagnose a 6.7 with a blown head gasket without pulling the head. Either way it is done and needs to be replaced.(Guaranteed)

you are correct sir. They went ahead and pulled the head off and found it today.
But my question is why? the truck is stock. 150k miles. The symptoms of the hose tightening, coolant blowing, and the cold air pointed to it, but there was no reason.
He drives the truck hard, but its still stock. What would be the reason for it?

Last edited:
if its got a smarty its not stock. the smarty will make a 6.7 run good. my truck blew a gasket too with the smarty. i put it back together and turned the smarty down some and its holding.

Smarty is on 4. What was meant by stock is that it has stock motor, injectors, turbo, etc.

Last edited:
Ok Forrest. Now you have me confused a bit. Ive helped and seen others done with no problems. Just a random problem I would guess?

just seems like they're more prone to head gasket failures when the EGR is actually blocked off vs. just unplugged.

Either add an external wastegate with head studs or put a different Turbo on with head studs next go around .

Back