2012 and up Passat TDI info please

B00ST00

I'm looking for a new DD and the Passat has peaked my interest due to its size and efficiency. Does anyone have info on these cars in regards to reliability and longevity? I have read the TDI forums and most of the info was positive with the exception of some turbo failures.

Haven't decided on the DSG or manual but the service intervals (40k) and hassle of needing* vagcom (sp?) is a turn off for the DSG in my opinion.

I appreciate any feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every VW enthusiast should own VCDS(vag-com), its such a useful tool.

The cars are pretty nice, they're a little cheapened up for the US market. Early turbos had issues, they haven't had any HPFP issues that I know of. The primary turbo issue these new TDI's are having are owners shutting them off during regeneartions, the turbo is sitting at about 600-900c then just shut off, the oil cooks inside them. Simple solution is to let the regeneration go, or restart it and let it cool off, it'll regen later.

Manual vs auto is your preference, just remember, that if you want to get it tuned, the DSG trans will need a tune too to raise the torque limiter and increase clutch clamping force.

Great info thank you. How do you feel about the longevity of the DSG trans? Also do you see these cars going 200k with regular maintenance or are those days over for the TDI line?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG transmissions seem to hold up pretty well, they can still fail and its not a cheap fix. Lots of people are over 200k on them without an issue, just the normal stuff. So far the CR TDI's don't have an issue that every one of them have, for the ALH cars its the auto trans that will fail, PD cars the cams will fail, for the PD Passats, the balance shaft module will fail, so far there is nothing major that is guaranteed to fail on the CR TDI's.

What's the deal with VCDS anyway? It is the software and you have to buy an interface? I remember being ready to buy and then something came up and i never came back around to it.

Monkey Fist Rage

Last edited:
Vcds is ready to go. You can use it on multiple cars. I have an older setup that I use on my car and will be upgrading to the hex plus can setup shortly. They are amazing tools. Takes time to learn the basics even but are the best you can get.

Its a diagnostic tool that you can do tons of stuff with. Its basically an aftermarket dealer diagnostic software. It will give you all the codes, you can log into all the controllers, it can even tell you if a light is out somewhere.
It can read all the sensors as well, do logging, etc.
http://www.ross-tech.com/

Last edited:
42k on the odometer of my '12 Jetta and she hasn't missed a beat. JFettig, have you messed with the Malone DSG tune much? I'm looking into getting the DSG tuned and a Stage 2 for the '12 once she goes over 60k.

Last edited:
yeah, I have done quite a few DSG tunes, they are really awesome. Shifts super fast and crisp.

Whats everyones input on the manual trans passats? Im leaning that way so I dont have to do or pay for the DSG service yearly. Im looking at putting 150-200k miles on this car before I get rid of it. Any opinions?

Having just driven a 14 Passat with a standard yssterday, I loved it, the trans shifts good and smooth, the clutch has ZERO feel though, but that's the only downside to it and it really didn't bother me that much.

My 13 tdi had the whole fuel system replaced under warranty at 13k miles. Pump ate itself. All new lines pump injectors etc .

Besides that I love the little car

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

No problem at all. If I didn't need a pickup, I'd forgo the 08 duramax I'm buying and get a '14 Passat TDI, I feel like for the money they're the best option out there for an economy car that is fun to drive, and the fact that our local veedub dealer had a fully loaded black '14 Passat with a manny made it pretty hard to leave

No problem at all. If I didn't need a pickup, I'd forgo the 08 duramax I'm buying and get a '14 Passat TDI, I feel like for the money they're the best option out there for an economy car that is fun to drive, and the fact that our local veedub dealer had a fully loaded black '14 Passat with a manny made it pretty hard to leave

I know what you mean. I need my truck but I also need a new beater since I sold my last one. Working with a dealer on a 14' SE manual trans right now, they expect the car to be in before the end of the year. I'd love to have a SEL but really dont want to spend the extra money at this point. I'll have to settle for the fake leather haha

The manual transmissions in these are very robust.

You can get the feel back by installing a ECS bleeder block, I haven't installed mine yet but I hear its much better, they have flow control on the stock bleeder block to make it easier.

nyramyga.jpg
Our new duramax will be paid off by April so I fully intend to get either a brand new TDI or hold off until I can find a used '12-'14 with a standard and leather. We looked at this one pretty seriously as well, its a 2012 Jetta with the 6 speed, has the navigation and black leather too, basically every option but a sunroof and it was at 22k with just over 25,000 miles

Love my 12 Jetta, fun little car. About 54K miles so far, not a single problem other then the DPF falling off somewhere. Generally 48-51MPG

Back