215 pump

Using a spring with a bit stiffer rate to slow the advance of injected quantity is often a better method. This is what Brad is talking about when he says "get the air ahead of the fuel", which I would agree with.

i hear wear everyone is coming from im just saying what i found in my setup. my truck is not a full time puller at this time because of other unreliable rigs that i own. i just found that on my new setup a #6 plate works the best on the street. it might work great pulling if i took out my plate but idk i was just letting people know what i found!

wow, i understand now. Sounds like I should pull the plate and try running a stiff spring.

To put this another way if you need X amount of fuel for a given situation and the plate sets it there you will gain nothing by pulling the plate except more fuel. More fuel doesnt nesc mean more power. It does mean more heat and smoke and can actually hinder performance by putting out the flame in the cylinder. Trust me I can do this on my truck by dumping the throttle in low gear as my AFC spring is a little to light even though it barely hazes in throttle under 75%. Under most conditions its perfect except WOT in a low gear then the volcano erupts and the truck will nose dive. This is with a 100 plate.

Using a spring with a bit stiffer rate to slow the advance of injected quantity is often a better method. This is what Brad is talking about when he says "get the air ahead of the fuel", which I would agree with.

This is the method I choose.

Ive only had 2 plate profiles in my truck #0 and a #6.

Right now plate-less seems to be what my truck likes. And it makes great power.

Spence

Everybody has there own ways of tuning i was sharing some insite on what has worked for me. The input from others is helpful in ways that others may not be able to get it across. This should be a helpfull forum that others can share what methods and maddness has worked for them. Its not a east vs west bull**** pissing match. I have great respect for everybody and there input. Remember we are all a happy diesel family! Family should always help one another and not back stab each other. If someone has an issue it should be addressed face to face. Lets all get along and have a great holiday!

Everybody has there own ways of tuning i was sharing some insite on what has worked for me. The input from others is helpful in ways that others may not be able to get it across. This should be a helpfull forum that others can share what methods and maddness has worked for them. Its not a east vs west bull**** pissing match. I have great respect for everybody and there input. Remember we are all a happy diesel family! Family should always help one another and not back stab each other. If someone has an issue it should be addressed face to face. Lets all get along and have a great holiday!

thats what im saying all of you guys are very knowledgeable and i thank all of you for your great advice in your posts. my truck would be a smokey turd on the street if i didnt have alot of your pump tuning threads to read and fall back on! happy holidays

Remember we are all a happy diesel family! Family should always help one another and not back stab each other.

I simply explained why, using a few simple comparisons, which you replied with; Wow! I have no problem with you Brad, your manner of posting tempts me to respond, one fashion or another.

Lets all get along and have a great holiday!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Haven't you had a few threads on this subject Tyler???

:poke:

Seriously though, tuning should yield the best spring for the application. I think we all know at this point there is no one right part for every set up.

When I put the valve spring in my AFC, it stopped putting the fire out at 1/2 throttle.

Last edited:
Ya but my computer is down so I'm doing everything by this POS Droid and searching is a ***** on it. And all I've ever seen, or that I can remember seeing, is a governor spring but no mention of which one.

I like to use the governor spring on twin turbo applications, you want the spring from either a 180hp or 215hp P7100. The governor spring from the 160hp or 175hp P7100 is a bit much as far as spring pressure. You can also heat and stretch a stock 215hp P7100 AFC spring. I go soley by the peak boost pressure that is made, you don't want to use a spring that requires 60psi to achieve full travel if your setup only makes 45psi.

Aside from the stock spring and a governor spring, are there any other springs people have tried in their AFC? I'll be looking for something stiffer than the stock AFC spring but not so stiff as the governor spring.

Aside from the stock spring and a governor spring, are there any other springs people have tried in their AFC? I'll be looking for something stiffer than the stock AFC spring but not so stiff as the governor spring.

215 AFC spring will be stiffer than the other models.

I like to use the governor spring on twin turbo applications, you want the spring from either a 180hp or 215hp P7100. The governor spring from the 160hp or 175hp P7100 is a bit much as far as spring pressure. You can also heat and stretch a stock 215hp P7100 AFC spring. I go soley by the peak boost pressure that is made, you don't want to use a spring that requires 60psi to achieve full travel if your setup only makes 45psi.

Thanks.

That's the idealogy I used to get my super stiff valve spring in mt AFC. It doesn't allow full fuel till 65psi, but makes 95 overall. Slowing the fuel down made a huge difference in my truck.

I had full cuts at the time and have since gone to less and less fuel...so I might need a lighter spring now. Crap!

just make sure you check for coil bind when using those big springs, I was with a stock gov spring at one point..
to each their own as far as tuning. I would love to see a diesel tuning challenge happen, to identical stock trucks and a budget on the same dyno and track.. lol who really knows how to tune.. be kinda like put your money where your mouth is..

Call it the diesel power tuning challenge. Two bone stock mid 90's 12 valves with automatic tranny and a budget of $200. Dyno competition combined with 1/4 mile race.

Ill put my info up. Our local dyno is broken. Using stock fuel/air trucks doesnt necessarily mean every truck will react the same way. I'll try tuning both ways with a 66 single, 5x16s, and 131/fullcuts. 180 pump ad150 and 4gsk, for now. will tune before and after cam install. I need to pay closer attention to power gains perceived. Seems the main debate is between sustainable power(decent mpg, towing power, good all around power curve) vs dyno power(all top end-fuel hits hard and fast)

This statement could be way out of the ball park, but i dont see why you would lose sustainable power with a fuel plate??

Back