24 valve guru's (cam gears)

kipo

King of swag
Well after the cam seized we cut the original timing cover up to get the cam out and had to use the 99' model timing cover on the rebuild. Once we got everything up and running we had no tach signal. So we checked our air gap and found it to be too large. After shaving the housing to get the correct gap we realized the sensor was hitting the gear. Further inspection revealed the timing covers ARE DIFFERENT. The 99' model cover has the cam sensor housing offset further outward of the gear. The 01' model cam gear uses the tone ring with all the little teeth and 1 flat spot. The 99' model gear has 1 notch in it to send the signal instead of the flat spot.

100_0650.jpg

100_0663.jpg

We still had the tone ring on the crank so we installed the 99' model cranks sensor and wired the cam sensor to reach down the the crank sensor. Fired it up and the truck ran like crap until it tripped the code then it idled fine. I checked with Jeff at Mumau and he said there is two different part #'s for the cam sensors.

Question: Will the 01' or 99' cam sensor work with the 99' model cam gear on an 01' ECM?

I would hate to pull the cam twice. If the sensor's won't work I'll find an 01' to 02' timing cover and run the original equipment.

Sorry for the book.
Thanks , Kip.

To make things work right, you can use any cam gear with the 98.5-00 because the ecm uses the tone ring on the crankshaft and the sensor is on the side of the block. You need to use the 01-02 cam gear with the 01-02 ecm because the tone ring is on the back of the cam gear and the sensor is on the timing cover instead of the block. Both sensors are interchagable, same part number.

Will I be able to use the 99' model cam gear as the main signal. I don't have another ECM and the timing cover is not compatible with the 01' cam gear.

so the 98.5-00 reads off the crank and has no tone ring whatsoever on the cam gear? I thought all the cam gears had a tone ring to work with the vp44

It's not a tone ring but reads the notch cut out of it. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. The placement of the cam sensor on the 99' is directly in line with that notch. The placement of the cam sensor on the 00' is directly in line with the tone ring.

Good info here... I hope you get this figured out!

The sensors are the same, however, the 01-02 cam gear does alot more than just give came location once every revolution. You will have to change ECM and pcm to get it to work with a 99 cover, cam gear and crank ring. It may be easier to just swap the 01 cover and gear back in.

Also im not sure if the 01 and 02 have the cone ring on the crankshaft.

no the 01' and 02' do not have the tone ring on the crankshaft.

I got an 01' cover coming so I'm jsut gonna swap it back and hope everything works.

Thanks guys.

Back