24 valve to 12 valve Q&A

Peterson

Ok i have been seeing many threads about people wanting to put a 12 valve in a truck that came with a 24 valve. Now yes you can use a 98 12 valve harness. Yes i used it in my 99 12 valve swap bc i had a gas to start with. Now you guys that have 24 valves to start with, just treat it as a P-pump swap. It will take a few mor things but everything will work just fine.

First if you have a 98-00 with the crank sensor you will need to have a block that has that hole for the sensor. Now if you have a 01-02 with just the cam sensor it will be much easier. You will take the 24 valves cam gear and put it in on the 12 valve cam or aftermarket cam of you choice. Then you will need to get the cam gear sensor adapter for the year of your truck, and put it on the timing cover just like a p-pump swap. Then just take all the other sensors, like the oil pressure, MAP, IAT and put them in the 12 valve. Now for the water Temp. The 12 valves water temp sensor it different then the 24 valves. you will need to have a adapter made to use the 24 valves sender in the back of the 12 valve head.

Thats all i can think of now, but if you guys have more questions, Fire away.

Ok i thought of afew more things to add. You need to mount the engine computer also to the side of the 12 valve. Then also you need to mount the TPS to the side of the pump. Then motor mounts. if you use a 24 valve block you can just use your same mounts. But if you use a 12 valve block you will need to use the older 12 valve mounts from a 94-98 truck.

Its worth noting that anyone doing this will need a cam gear to match the ECM. 98-00 and 01-02 are the same gear, yet the tone rings are different.

Tyler pretty much got the rest of it. You will only need the TPS if you have an auto, and the truck MUST have the cam sensor.

Back