241 hd speed sensor help

Cetane_addict

I would like to put a 241 HD case in my '94. The issue is that I want my spedometer to work and the tail housing that my HD has is off of an '02 and has no provision for a sensor. Can anyone let me know what is the best way to add the sensor to the HD? Can I switch the tail housing off of my '94 and get a plastic drive sleeve off of a 1997? Is it just easier to machine out the 241 hd housing?

The mainshaft needs to have the snap ring grooves cut in it for it to work. U need a speedo gear from a 1 piece cone dhd. I have wondered if u could epoxy the speedo gear in place on the mainshaft. U will need a new yolk also as the dhd has a larger out put than the dld

The mainshaft needs to have the snap ring grooves cut in it for it to work. U need a speedo gear from a 1 piece cone dhd. I have wondered if u could epoxy the speedo gear in place on the mainshaft. U will need a new yolk also as the dhd has a larger out put than the dld

Where can I find a spedo gear for the DHD? The machining is no problem and I have the new yoke already. Will the DLD housings work on the DHD so that i have a bore for the sensor or is there another option?

I don't think the dld would work. U would have a problem finding a seal that would work I would think. I think u could machine thd dhd housing

I'm doing the same thinh on my dhd I put in my 96 in place of the dld. I'm gonna epoxy the speedo gear in place. My dhd came from an 02 also and it has the hole for the speed sensor bjut it is plugged with what looks like a freeze plug. I plan on pulling it out and puttiinng tjhe sensor in. With the shaft roughed up annd some good west system epoxy id be willing to bet the plastig gear will break b4 it moves. West system is the ****! I got my speedo gear for 15bucks from jeep essenntials.com. ill let u know. How it goes

Why not use a Dakota Digital SGI-5? I have one bought, but have not had time to find the wires on the truck. Somewhere, I read about a guy that did this to his truck and worked great.

Why not use a Dakota Digital SGI-5? I have one bought, but have not had time to find the wires on the truck. Somewhere, I read about a guy that did this to his truck and worked great.

But then I need to install a wheel for the sensor to read teeth off of, or already have a sensor installed and convert the signal. I think it's easier to make the factory system work.

I think all of the 94 and newer trucks have the sensor in the rear axle. I had a 92 for a short while and had to replace the sensor to get the brake light in the dash to go out. According to the info I have, you can find a red wire with violet tracer in the loom directly under the drivers side floorboard, on the outside of the frame rail. Splice into this wire for the "sig. in" on the SGI-5. The speedo sensor wires that were going to the mechanical drive on the transfer case are used for the other connections on the SGI-5. The orange wire is a 5 volt signal wire is not used and can be taped off. The white wire with orange tracer will go in the "out 3" location. The black wire with light blue tracer will go on the "sig ground" location. I have not installed mine yet, but this is the info I found when doing a search.

I think all of the 94 and newer trucks have the sensor in the rear axle. I had a 92 for a short while and had to replace the sensor to get the brake light in the dash to go out.

Oh, no chit! My brake and abs light on the dash come on and off when i go over bumps must be the wiring to this sensor or the sensor going out. I didnt even know I had ABS untill the light came on LOL

The dakota digital thingy is 90 bucks, my speedo gear was $14 epoxy is 3-4 bucks. I think ill try my way first $.02

Kevin

The dakota digital thingy is 90 bucks, my speedo gear was $14 epoxy is 3-4 bucks. I think ill try my way first $.02

Kevin, I reread your earlier post and saw that you have a soft plug. The DHD cases I have looked at did not have a soft plug. Your epoxy on the gear will probably work fine. I installed a 271 case from a 3rd gen truck and do not have the soft plug. I did see one 241 DHD case that someone had made a hole for their speedo sensor, but looked pretty crude. Let us know how your $18 setup works.

Kevin, I reread your earlier post and saw that you have a soft plug. The DHD cases I have looked at did not have a soft plug. Your epoxy on the gear will probably work fine. I installed a 271 case from a 3rd gen truck and do not have the soft plug. I did see one 241 DHD case that someone had made a hole for their speedo sensor, but looked pretty crude. Let us know how your $18 setup works.

I got ya, yes mine has a soft freeze plug and a threaded hole next to the plug for the sensor bolt! So we are solving 2 different problems. :p I will let you know how it goes :Cheer:

Back