245/70R19.5 Goodyear G622 issues

jedeka

I recently had 6 of these tires installed on my 4x4 dually. They are wearing very even on the steering axle, but can't figure out the wandering issue. It has been aligned after I installed new ball joints and track bar. Some roads are better than others, but still can't get away from that feeling that I don't have the control I should have with thus truck. Any ideas? Thanks.

I think it's a Goodyear trait. My 265/70r17E Duratracs are like that too. I'm curious if the Kevlar tires get that complaint.

Not enough toe in will do that also. Maybe take it back and have them set it at the max allowable toe in!

I would guess they are in the "pre-cure, squirm" mode as Forrest stated. I run Duratracs and they are always squirmy as hell for a while. I would run them for a while. They will either stop or you will get used to it. $.02

Give it as much positive caster also, that'll help with stability.

I'd leave the alignment alone until you get at least 500 miles on the new rubber, probably more like 1000 miles. Some new tires are like riding on marshmallows until they figure out what they are supposed to do.

My alignment guy was able to put 5 degrees of caster into the alignment and steering still returns fine. I will report back on miles I have on these tires.

It will go away, as others have said. When I put new G124's on my 2cnd gen it did the same thing. A bit lower air pressure will help also, that is a VERY stiff carcass to get "broke in" and flexing.

I have about 4700 miles on them. Next step is to see where air pressure is. Thanks.

I ran a taller tire, it seemed to drive the best about 15-20 PSI below max IIRC. With that kind of miles on them they should be done with the wandering.

Back