2nd gen 271

blackcoal

I know this swap has been beaten to death but im wanting to know if any of you guys who have done the swap have gotten your "Vacuum CAD" to work with the 271?

A couple of guys on this thread say they did and then the other guy says it does not http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/555150-271-swap-crap.html

When we put this 271 in pulling truck we just welded the shift fork in the CAD in the 4x4 position and never looked back.

But sense this is going in a street truck id rather not weld it, so has anyone gotten the switch to work? Or I may end up just getting a pull cable.

I never got mine 'working', per se. I removed all the vacuum lines for the t-case, and just ran one line direct to the CAD to keep it locked all times. Easily reversible if needed. But I also have manual hubs, so leaving it locked has no real consequence to me.

Leaving it locked in won't hurt a thing. Hell I don't even notice and I have a locker up front.

Mine has been locked on my dd for 4 years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

a 5/8 long x3/8 ID bushing works perfect to keep the cad in the locked position. worked for me, and at any time you can pull it off

okay, ill just leave it locked I guess then if you guys say there is no problems. the front drive shaft will be turning all the time then correct?

I just ended up putting a bunch of 1/4" flat washers on the rod on both sides of the fork to keep it in the right place

I just ended up putting a bunch of 1/4" flat washers on the rod on both sides of the fork to keep it in the right place

Was there anything else special about the swap that you didn't expect ? Or basically bolt on do drive shafts and make a linkage or get a 98+ linkage

On the inside of the drivers side frame, there is a big oval opening. I had to open up the front side by an inch. This was on a 96 with NV4500 tranny. I can get a pic next time I'm at my shop. I put a switch in to run the 4x4 dash light, but running lockout hub conversion.

I had my cad locked with factory diff and uni bearings, didn't notice any steering issues. I'll be picking up a 271 t case this Tuesday to put behind my 47re in my 96

On the inside of the drivers side frame, there is a big oval opening. I had to open up the front side by an inch. This was on a 96 with NV4500 tranny. I can get a pic next time I'm at my shop. I put a switch in to run the 4x4 dash light, but running lockout hub conversion.

Yes this.... Just cut it out another inch forward. I didn't cut it at first but you could tell it rubbed.

I had my cad locked with factory diff and uni bearings, didn't notice any steering issues. I'll be picking up a 271 t case this Tuesday to put behind my 47re in my 96

Good to know,
Does anyone have a picture of how they locked it in? I have never torn it down to see what they look like

Just do the swap and do what you gotta do to make it to work.

I didn't need to notch the frame but I had to take a sledge hammer to my floor to make clearance between the t case and floor.

Just do the swap and do what you gotta do to make it to work.

I didn't need to notch the frame but I had to take a sledge hammer to my floor to make clearance between the t case and floor.

Easy enough. Figured it was pretty straight forward.

Back