2nd gen brakes on aam's

We run SSBC on the front of the race truck, and to get them to clear even the really offset 17" wheel that we run took some extensive grinding.

I have an entire 2nd gen brake set up
I have an entire 3rd gen brake set up
I have 16" rims

But I'm putting 3rd gen AAM's under my 2nd gen (1995). I know we have been saying this or that worked or didn't. But I haven't seen anyone confirm what will or won't work on my set up. The ONLY reason I was looking to do aftermarket calipers and rotors is because they look nice. And SSBC is what I can get the best pricing on.

I have 16" rims

But I'm putting 3rd gen AAM's under my 2nd gen (1995). I know we have been saying this or that worked or didn't. But I haven't seen anyone confirm what will or won't work on my set up. The ONLY reason I was looking to do aftermarket calipers and rotors is because they look nice. And SSBC is what I can get the best pricing on.

Its a race truck not a show truck... Get what fits and works!!! Most of the SSBC stuff is truck bling for big wheels and therefore is large and likely will not fit with your 16s.

It sounds like guys have said the 2nd gen stuff will work on the 3rd gen axles so go that route and use agressive pads and rotors like ones from EBC. But if you decide you want or need even more braking capability but are still limited to the small 16" wheel you will need to go to race dedicated brake manufacturers like Wilwood, ProAm or one of those that have a lot of braking capability in small packages to fit 15-16" wheels. That gets more expensive, but the results are generally worth it!

I have 16" rims

A late second gen 01-02 iirc setup is going to be the only thing that bolts up to the aam and clears 16" wheels.

2nd gen rear disc brakes bolt to an AAM rear axle like it came from the factory. The calipers are the same between both gens. I put a 2nd gen rear disc setup on my 3rd gen so I could fit a 15 inch wheel. Took a bit of grinding on the caliper but it fits.

2nd gen rear disc brakes bolt to an AAM rear axle like it came from the factory. The calipers are the same between both gens. I put a 2nd gen rear disc setup on my 3rd gen so I could fit a 15 inch wheel. Took a bit of grinding on the caliper but it fits.

Exactly, a friend of mine did just that last week, without any grinding. 16in wheels not 15.:Cheer:

Ford 9" or fabed 9" front and rear would be ideal :) then your braking options would be unlimited!

Back