2nd Gen Dodge Preference

joelc79

I will soon be in the market for another cummins. I want a x cab short bed
2wd manual. Looking for the best and strongest block years. I don't know much about the older ones so hopefully you guys can help. Not sure what will be in store for it. I'm thinking a sleeper-street-mpg-everyday cruiser. :nos:Already have the 4x4 coal roller, just want another!

well depending on your spending limit, a 98 12valve or an 98.5-02 24v and then p-pump unless you want all the electronics and that fun stuff. and like j-rod said watch out for 53 blocks and get a fuel pressure gauge on the truck if it stays a 24v with a vp44 and your all set to have fun.

stay away from 98.5-2002 24v trucks... VP44 issues.. which can be monitored with a fuel pressure gauge and FASS... but why fool with it, when you don't have to.

for 12v .. it's 97 or 98
for CR go for 2004 1/2

53's can be found in 98 -i think eairly '02 and yes some of hte '98 12v had them. IIRC though the 12v's didnt have the cracking problem. The 2wd Idea is cool I have thought about it before.

stay away from 98.5-2002 24v trucks... VP44 issues.. which can be monitored with a fuel pressure gauge and FASS... but why fool with it, when you don't have to.

for 12v .. it's 97 or 98
for CR go for 2004 1/2

whats wrong with a pre '97 12v. Or did they not offer a ex.cab SB prior to '97

I think he's saying that year range for the better p-pumps (180 and 215).

nothing is wrong with pre 97 12v... just that 97 was the last full production year for 12v with all the bugs worked out. it's got hydrostatic brakes and 47RE tranny.

std tranny came with 215 pumps vs auto came with 180. auto's out numbers stick by quite a margin.

sure wish I've had manual tranny... that'd be the only reason I'd even consider changing trucks. already got a spare 215 P pump waiting for a good time to change out.

been keeping an eye out for a 4x4 manual tranny donor truck. seems 4x4 MT 12v are hard to find.

whats wrong with a pre '97 12v. Or did they not offer a ex.cab SB prior to '97

look for a 96 or 97 truck with a 5 speed, same 215 pump( as the 98 12valve) but the only dow side is the club cab, and good luck on the short bed. You will find more single cab long beds, but the chance them having a stick is much better, im guessing 75 % club cab long or short beds came with the worthless ( unless your rich) auto.

yup.. if short bed is an absolute must... and you want a 12v.
it's got to be a 98, which came with extra cab, short box option and 12v.

have never seen a short box prior to 98... other than a custom chop job. some folks claim a few pre-98 factory short beds were made, but they must be super rare.

totally agree... a 96 or 97 12v 5sp would be a fine choice!
personal preference... but wouldn't be without a long box.

the block you need to watch out for is the 53 block that came in just the 99 24v they did not have that probem with any of the 12v as far as I know. I have a 53 with some small mods and 320,000 on it with no problems and as long as you watch your fuel pressure gauge with these trucks youll have no problem....BUT I would go with a 98 12 v good luck finding the quad cab short bed stick I know one guy that has one... that is my dream truck though!!!! My 99 is a 2wd and I love it I have no need for 4x4 right now so I have fun with it. good luck on your search brother.

the block you need to watch out for is the 53 block that came in just the 99 24v they did not have that probem with any of the 12v as far as I know. I have a 53 with some small mods and 320,000 on it with no problems and as long as you watch your fuel pressure gauge with these trucks youll have no problem....BUT I would go with a 98 12 v good luck finding the quad cab short bed stick I know one guy that has one... that is my dream truck though!!!! My 99 is a 2wd and I love it I have no need for 4x4 right now so I have fun with it. good luck on your search brother.

53 blocks were present all the way up to 01 and some even say 02. :poke:

there's documented evidence of 53 blocks in 98. but so far no one has come up with evidence of any 98's with 53 block cracking.

98 12v for that 1/2 year run had internal differences from earlier 12v.
for supposedly rare 98 12v are... they are surprisingly easy to find for sale. no clue what production numbers are... but it must have been a HUGE 1/2 year run!

53 blocks were present all the way up to 01 and some even say 02. :poke:

I'd take a 47RH trans over a RE any day. I can find 98 12vave QC/SB all day long. There are a ton for sale in Utah.

yup.. 47RH are very desirable for building up.

my 47RE has been a trooper .... routinely yank 20k+lb loads with no problems. been waiting for stock TC to go out so I can put a triple disc TC in. but it just keeps hanging in there...

it's amazing how often 98 12v come up for sale... considering they are suppose to be rare...

I'd take a 47RH trans over a RE any day. I can find 98 12vave QC/SB all day long. There are a ton for sale in Utah.

I will be in Vernal Utah in may. Closer to my ideal buy time. I would never buy an auto again unless it already has a upgraded tranny. That was the biggest expence i had on my 03. I hated to spend it, but had to when my input shaft went through the side of my TQ. oops!

I have a super clean 02 for sale in Denver. Stop by and check it out on your way through. More pics in my sig link.

2008072300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back