2nd Gen Steering Boxes,Any Idea's?

Hammer

Verbal Junk Author
We are looking for a good steering box to fit a 01.5 2500 4x4.

PSC has quit making the 2nd Gen boxes and so far the Napa and Cardone boxes have proved to be POS's.I know people who have used the Mopar boxes and are having issues with them also.

So my question is then,With PSC NOT making boxes for our rides now,does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a quality steering box for the 2nd generation owner?.This truck is lifted with a long arm kit 6" over stock and its a lady who drives this daily and we are trying to get the wander out of her truck so she can enjoy driving it again.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated as I am out of ideas........Andy

What about the AGR steering boxes? I don't have any personal experience with them, but I think BBD had one.

How is the rest of the front end?

The rest of the front end is all new.Forgot about AGR.

Garrett...
The only 3rd gen conversion I had seen was done by a business called Wild Horse Suspension" and he used to be a TDR member and had a webpage.That is long gone and any contact info on it is also.It was a really slick kit he made but it was not cheap.I actually got online today to see if it had came back up and when I didn't see it I posted this thread.That was one of my ideas for her........Andy

Garrett...
The only 3rd gen conversion I had seen was done by a business called Wild Horse Suspension" and he used to be a TDR member and had a webpage.That is long gone and any contact info on it is also.It was a really slick kit he made but it was not cheap.I actually got online today to see if it had came back up and when I didn't see it I posted this thread.That was one of my ideas for her........Andy

last i heard a 3rd gen steering box bolts up with the addition of 1 piece. ill find out what it is.

Garrett

Garrett...

He decided to quit selling the kits. Not sure who else to look into. Only other options are a chevy suburban steering box (mid 90's). Or if Justin on here can get his adapter plate for the 3rd gen box into production.

Have a friend that got a box from these guys:

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

He is extremely happy with it. It was one of their "quick" ratio boxes, but I'm 100% certain it isn't as quick a ratio as the third gen.

I have one of the wild horse third gen conversions. It was worth every penny. Remember, it came with a brand new box plus a brand new steering shaft and pitman arms. The cost was high, but it made my truck bearable to drive again. Without question, the third gen box is one of the best investments you can make for a second gen... I do have a gripe about feeling MINOR bump steer in the steering wheel. That said, it is nothing compared to the benefit of being able to enjoy driving my truck again. If I ever have to sell this truck and get another second gen, for any reason, the third gen box would go with me.. I'd let most other parts go with the pickup, but I absolutely wouldn't let that one.

Not surprised PSC quit making theirs. I had 3 of them and all 3 had different problems. No questions asked exchanges but I got tired of swapping them out and waiting on shipping and what not. Now I just run O'reilly boxes. Lifetime warranty and they are across the street. Still crappy boxes but it's easier to deal with.

RED HEAD STEERING GEARS in Washington. 1-800-808-1148. I've been through every available gear made. Probably had a dozen different gears on my truck in 4 years. Best one yet!!!!

My brother bought the AGR box, complete piece of ****! I only run Napa 3 turns & I locktite the preload nut before install. I'm still on the same box, going on 3 years now.

The NAPA boxes out here are going back faster than the shops can install them.They are no better than the Cardone crap thats being passed off as quality parts.

Looks like the Red head Steering will be the one for now until we can find a deal to do the third generation box.

Jeff...
The guy who used to make and sell the 3rd gen conversions,do you have a way to contact him or know if he would be interested in doing a couple more?.

Picaso...
You are ALWAYS misbehaving!

This was the last update from him:

"For the last couple of months (and for a few to come) I have been crazy busy.

Yes I know my web site is down, I let it go down because I had no clue how to up date it or change it arround like I wanted it, (no time to learn how).

When I first had this idea it was simple in my mind, "Here is a kit, this is whats in it, this is what it does (and does well), and this is the price" Things were starting to pick up untill fuel started hitting $3 to $4 to $5/gal. Then poof it was gone, I would get the ocational email asking "what is it, whats in it, and what does it do, and how much?". I would spend hours typing every thing that was explained in the web site and get to the price, if I got a reply back at all it was well "how much for just the adapter plate?" My reply has always been "sorry its only availabe as a complete kit" As I explained when I first started this project, I could not rely on people to get the right parts and good parts and hope they could get it all installed correctly, because if they didnt manage to get it all just right, it would be my fault that it didnt work right, (not something some one wants when trying to start up a buisness). Over the last couple of years I have turned away probably close to 50 sales because of this. Any way to make a long story short, it was taking too much of my time for little to nothing in return, I started this whole deal to cure a problem with these trucks and make a little extra $ on the side in the process, but as it turns out, time for me right now has more value than $. 12 Hours of my day is pretty much devoted to my job, trying to keep the company I work for affloat in this economy, my evenings and week ends are spent working at home trying to get things done around here, and still spend time with my family."

He mentioned that he had a few adapter plates left, but last I heard they where spoken for. If you still want to try to reach him, shoot me a PM and I can get you some contact info!

Back