2wd zf6 duramax quest for 11s

Mikesmithdmax

I've been playing with this lil truck all summer, finally got it where it's halfway reliable and fun, it's a regular cab long bed 2001, running a kennys ceramic dd, homemade traction bars, lowering shackles, torsion bar bolts out, 3" dp, all stock engine, fuel system: modded cp3, 1/2 draw tube, cat filter setup, fpr capped off,
I'm guessing right around 500 rwhp.

As it sits now with street tires on it and zero weight reduction. the lil truck went a 13.79 @ 104 mph, 60ft was a horrible 2.1 lol.

I was rather Impressed with that pass, every other pass it'd just spin most the way down the track.
I think the record for the zf6 trucks is like a 11.50 or so, it's a 4x4 truck with twins and slicks.

What do you fellers think I'll need to get this thing low 12s-hi 11s?

It weighs like 6000 I believe, I'd like to get her closer to 5, get some 29x12.5 slicks on the back and try it again, I'm thinking it'd break 12s with just that?

Chime in guys

Build a proper 4 link or a cheater 3 link. You'll want bigger slicks. Put it on a diet.

Yea, you have a shot. Good tuning, small shot of nitrous, taller slicks (maybe), and weight reduction. Should get you deep in the 12's but manual tranmissions take lots of practice.

What would be a fast spooling turbo for this zf6 junker? I've already got a t4 pedostol, and could fab the tubing needed to adapt it up, I'm thinking keep the a/r below 1.0 to keep it street able, but it may be a light enough truck to spool a 1.2 or so s300 style turbo? What y'all think?

Build a motor. Its gonna take power with a stick. Your trap speed should be good for high 12's, but to shave an extra second....good luck. Its not easy on a stock engine to run 11.90s with an auto truck.

Maybe an s472, you can launch at whatever rpm you need, and shift higher than with a stock turbo, keep the motor out of the tq zone and it'll last longer.

What size exhaust a/r? I don't pull any thing with this truck but i want it driveable,

An s472 with a 1.1, would An upgraded "hotside" be a must with a t6 charger? Or maybe just a driver side manifold

Not to rain on your parade, but unless you can shift as fast as Caleb or Darius did, you wont come anywhere close to 11s.

Look up BMDMAX on the Place for old threads on how Brandon set up his 2wd CC to run mid-11s. That may give you some ideas.

Short throw shifter is a must. Removing as much weight as you can, you might get the truck down to mid-5000 lbs. As it is, even if you can cut that much weight out, you're still going to need high-500 rwhp to get close, which will probably hurt the engine pretty quick.

Good luck.

I've built a steel clutch pedal for it,nadjustable ratio, I'm in the process of a spacer and shifter ball to shorten the throw.

You're gonna need close to 1000rwhp to back half a 2wd zf6 into the 11's

You could do an auto swap and get into the 11's for faster and cheaper than trying to get that 6 speed in the 11's

I don't plan on throwing a lot of cash into the old thing, hell every performance part on it is off another truck lol,

I know of a great deal on a 99 v6 5speed 1500 truck, 2wd great body besides the upper cab (tree fell on it) I can get it for $900. I'm pretty sure I could easily get it under 5k on a 1/2 ton 2wd frame, and prolly keep some luxurys lol. It'd be short bed also.

To keep the same wheel bolt pattern I think I could either build a dana 60/ 9" for the rear, and use 6 lug 1/2 ton wheels. Or make it 8 lug by machining the 1/2 ton spindles to accept the 2500 wheel bearings?
I've beat the hell outta the poor truck, I've had quite abit of shifting practice, played with some different length shifter handles, with or without the rubber bushing at the threads, I usually launch in 3rd @ around 2800-3k, I barely lift the throttle when u goto 4th, and after 4th I never lift again,

There is one undeniable truth about these trucks.....

Building one to go fast is NOT cheap.

I usually launch in 3rd @ around 2800-3k, I barely lift the throttle when u goto 4th, and after 4th I never lift again,

Videos please! :snoop:

For the record, I think it is possible, but you need as much of a power curve as possible. I'd use the stock turbo with a wastegate, and a ton of nitrous. A low boost nitrous motor should live longer anyways.

Videos please! :snoop:

For the record, I think it is possible, but you need as much of a power curve as possible. I'd use the stock turbo with a wastegate, and a ton of nitrous. A low boost nitrous motor should live longer anyways.
Man I wish I would have had someone at the track to shoot some videos the last few times I went,
I've messed with nitrous quite abit, just not on a diesel, I sprayed my 67 camaro with a 200 hit more 1/4 mile passes than I can count, helped a few friends get there kits dialed in.

I've done some reading on it, from what I understand a diesel just needs a dry kit, it'd be simple.
Could a guy take a wet nozzle kit, plum a standalone fuel setup and spray meth out of it with the n20?
What's nitrous do for egts?

Back