3.0 cover on a 2.6 cut wheel...Thoughts/Experiences?

3.0 cover on a 2.6 wheel

• Make more boost and power

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Same boost and power

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Explode the charger

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Create a black hole in the universe

Votes: 71 61.7%

• Total voters

takedown95

I've been kicking around this idea for a couple of years. I run NTPA pro stock along with the local 2.6 class. Instead of buying two chargers why not just buy a spare 3.0 cover and swap in 15 minutes or less.

HX-60 with a 2.6 cut wheel.

Has anybody ever swapped a 3.0 cover and ran with a cut 2.6 wheel?

Results? Thoughts on what might happen?

He wants a bigger cover... Instead of a 3.0 couldn't he go to a race cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh I didn't realized he needed it for a 3.0 class. Disregard my prior comment

Looks like the general consensus is it will create a black hole. For the love of God man, don't do it!

It would work but I am sure it wouldn't be competitive

It would work but I am sure it wouldn't be competitive

I don't expect it to be as competative as a full blown 3.0 charger but at the same time I would never expect a 2.6 truck to be competative with a 3.0 built truck. Just looking to be more competative at a reasonable price.

There are a couple of pulls this weekend so we'll see. If a black hole is indeed created then no one will really care anyways. LOL

Wouldn't it be easy to just swap a cover AND the wheel? Be far better than a clipped 2.6 in a 3.0 cover.

if its Holset yes, could be running something else ??

This is how I ran my charger for a few years. I built my truck for NADM rules back in the day. The turbo I bought was a Swamps 76MM BFH. It had a 3.0 cover, but the wheel was clipped for a 2.6 cover. I had no issues with it, still don't.

So, now that I pull with TTTPA here in TX, I have to be 2.6. So I finally put the 2.6 cover on. It made a difference for sure. Seems like I snuff the charger more. But I also went with injectors that were twice the size I had before. And I made these changes all at the same time.

SO, if you already run with a 2.6 cover, you (in my opinion) will gain power/air when you put the 3.0 cover on. Nothing bad will happen by having a clipped wheel and bigger cover....... As long as the 3.0 cover fits the wheel correct in the taper, etc. Run it, you will be fine.

never done it b4 but i would say the more air you let to the wheel the better. just make sure it fits your wheel taper, etc.

I forgot to update this. First time I tried it I went from 45psi of boost and 48psi of drive pressure to 60psi of boost and 55psi of drive pressure. I also carried 500-600 more RPMs down the track which equaled ~5 more mph wheel speed. Egts dropped about 200* although I didn't turn up the fuel.

The second time I turned up the fuel a bit and blew a boot right off the line but intial boost and drive were the same 60psi and 55psi, respectively. The third time I took off and at about 70 feet the turbo shaft exploded right behind the compressor wheel. Boost and drive were the same 60psi and 55psi, respectively. I'm thinking the blown boot on the previous run oversped the charger and it couldn't take it on the third run. I know those 60's are prone to break there with sudden speed changes or over speeding.

I had the turbo rebuilt for a second time this year (I blew the shaft with the 2.6 cover on the first hook of the year) and put the 2.6 cover back on. I've been hesitant to try it again but have three solid tugs with the 2.6 cover with no issues.

never done it b4 but i would say the more air you let to the wheel the better. just make sure it fits your wheel taper, etc.

So, one part I didn't mention is the 2.6 wheel had fins that were a little taller than the 3.0 ring would allow (newer style wheel with an older 3.0 style cover). So we broke the welds, cleaned up the bore and ring and then welded the ring a little further out. There was plenty of clearance and certainly more than with the 2.6 cover but I was wondering if the ring was slighty crooked, meaning the MWE groove was slightly bigger in one part and slightly smaller in another would that make a difference and cause the shaft to break?

If I was a betting man I would say the boot did it in. I don't see how the larger map could have caused.

If I was a betting man I would say the boot did it in. I don't see how the larger map could have caused.

That's the theory I've heard most often from several well known pulling shops so I'm inclined agree with you. Maybe I will give the 3.0 cover another try. However, with tuning I've been able to get the 2.6 cover to produce 50-53psi of boost now while reducing egts.

Back