300tdi cyclone breather (rocker cover)

soturi

this thing = :bs:

IMG_1070.jpg

that little doohickey separates oil and fumes, drops one into the oil pan and the other into... my gddam intake. had my intake all mucked up. i cleaned the intake tube up and put a better filter on there. i'll be cleaning that piece as well so it works properly, but i'm really not interested in plugging the fume hose back into my intake.

i have an '03 ram 2500 with a breather that just dumps all over my front axle. it's the same idea, right? so there shouldn't be any issues with letting that thing just leak, instead of getting sucked through the intake?

also, is there ever negative pressure in the rocker box? should i be worried about the fume tube sucking up water ever? it's not something i ever thought about with the cummins tube, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the right answer...

thanks in advance for any help!

You're fine just putting a small filter on the canister and capping the intake. Here's one like we use on the race truck:
130_0803_13_z+1973_toyota_starlet+oil_catch_can.jpg

Forgot- if it starts dripping oil, just add a steel wool pad inside the filter to help the oil condense.

Last edited:
word - thanks, that's exactly the sort of breather filter i was figuring on. any reason you went with the catch tank instead of putting the filter right on the breather/hose?

Helps monitor blow-by.
4oz = partial run.
8oz = full run.
1qt = scuffed cylinder wall.

Back