3116 cat

stevemiller67

I have a buddy who's planning on putting a 3116 cat in a 70's chevy truck. I know these engines have issues, valve train from what I hear, is there and what are other issues? Are they fixable? Different valves? Springs? Seats? Any input would be great on the subject. Pictures of similar swaps too. Also I had an idea for a 3116 myself. P-pumping a 3116. Has it ever been done? Any big CAT guys?

watch out if your doing anything with the top end careful when messing with the rack they tend to like to runaway on you, i always keep a clip board and fire extinguisher handy with the intake tube off lol

and the 3116 dosent have a injection pump they use a govenor/fuel pump the injectors are opened and closed via the camshaft....

IF he is going to go through with it find a cat dealer that is nice enough to lend out the rack setting tools, also follow the procedure VERY carefully. Like GrantsGarage said, they like to runaway easily and if the rack adjustment isn't just right or the injectors aren't installed JUST RIGHT you can have some major issues.

Take the engine and have the fuel system worked over while it is out of the vehicle. It will cost quite a bit less in labor.
Replace the rack, they are almost always worn out, and cost more in labor to make a worn rack set than to just replace it.
Unless you really really want to do it.

Make sure you have an automotive governor

Last edited:
IF he is going to go through with it find a cat dealer that is nice enough to lend out the rack setting tools, also follow the procedure VERY carefully. Like GrantsGarage said, they like to runaway easily and if the rack adjustment isn't just right or the injectors aren't installed JUST RIGHT you can have some major issues.

^x2 They tend to be very very picky, getting the rack tools will be a major help I wouldn't mess with one without them. I used to work on one in a 3500 dodge had many headaches till I started using the cat tools. Good luck

Sorry for the delayed reply. The engine is a 94. We're on sure of the condition of the fuel system yet but we have access to all the tooling and information at school. My thoughts were eliminating the MUI fuel system and Installing a PLN fuel system for power and simplicity. Something like a hypermax kit for the 7.3's.

Last edited:
Back