351ve or 451ve

bwdt

engineer
Any one running a 451ve and how do you like it? how do they compare? I was planning on putting a 351 on a vp truck, but now I'm thinking I should go with a 451.

Any input would be appreciated.

I managed to snag one of the bus only application 451s (the only ones with a titanium comp wheel)... I must say that I really like mine. But to be honest unless you find another 451VeTi (the Ti denotes the titanium wheel) there really isn't much advantage to the 451 over the 351.

The 351 can be machined/modified to be a direct fit to a T3 manifold <-12valve has done this check out his thread

HE351VE on a VP44 truck - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

The 351, as far as I can tell, also isn't as finicky about tuning the min and max housing size. It also has a smaller exhaust housing and smaller turbine wheel, both of which aid it in spooling up ridiculously fast (though that's not to say that the 451 is slow by any means).

There's my $.02

EDIT: FYI here are the average dimensions of the wheels in both;

Comp
IND 60mm
EXD 90mm

Turbine
IND 74mm (76mm for other than bus applications)
EXD 60mm

Comp
IND 60mm
EXD 88mm

Turbine
IND 70mm
EXD 60mm

There are a lot of 351s out there but if you get a good deal on a 451 snag it.

I managed to snag one of the bus only application 451s (the only ones with a titanium comp wheel)... I must say that I really like mine. But to be honest unless you find another 451VeTi (the Ti denotes the titanium wheel) there really isn't much advantage to the 451 over the 351.

The 351 can be machined/modified to be a direct fit to a T3 manifold <-12valve has done this check out his thread

HE351VE on a VP44 truck - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

The 351, as far as I can tell, also isn't as finicky about tuning the min and max housing size. It also has a smaller exhaust housing and smaller turbine wheel, both of which aid it in spooling up ridiculously fast (though that's not to say that the 451 is slow by any means).

There's my $.02

EDIT: FYI here are the average dimensions of the wheels in both;

Comp
IND 60mm
EXD 90mm

Turbine
IND 74mm (76mm for other than bus applications)
EXD 60mm

Comp
IND 60mm
EXD 88mm

Turbine
IND 70mm
EXD 60mm

School bus, mass transit bus?

School bus, mass transit bus?

Mass transit... The listing actually said it came off of one of those big articulating busses. I would assume most school busses would use the 6.7 hence a 351. Though I do know an occasional few used 8.3s which would have a 431, but I'm not sure if they would have the Ti wheel or not.

Back