370 marine motor

DEZLFREK

my licence plate says it
so i might be able to score a 370 marine motor.. for $500!!!!! supposedly the boat sank and the motor was salvaged and pulled apart.. also he thinks the pump may be seezed. anyway im wondering where to send the pump to get rebuilt and is a 12mm pump? also are the heads the same as street heads? i know it has teflon coated pistons according to the guy.. also what are the cams like? well any info you guys have would be great and thanks..

Send the pump to whatever local pump shop you have (with a good rep) if you just want it repaired. For upgrades I'd do scheid, cds, or northeast.

As far as I know, the motors were the same except for pistons and injectors. But I have no first hand knowledge.

The marine engine was designed around the idea it would have unlimited cooling abilities (since its sea water cooled). I am guessing there is quite a bit of difference between the marine app and auto app 12-valves (beside the fact the marine engine is sea water cooled).

For a $25-50 BoatDiesel.com membership you could have access to all the datasheets you could want. Or maybe you will get all the info you need on here for free!

http://boatdiesel.com/

Last edited:
Also keep in mind the marine engine was designed to run at a constant RPM

Also keep in mind the marine engine was designed to run at a constant RPM

Yep, and the marine motors where almost always under a medium to high load pushing a vessel through the water (whether it be flat calm or 30' seas). The auto app motors are usually under very little load crusing around (unless your towing a load).

Also keep in mind, marine diesels are usually much stouter built than there land dwelling counterparts. What happens when a truck breaks down? Call the tow rig. What happens when engines fail at sea? The crew could possible die with out means to control the vessel in rough seas.

The 370B is classified as an HO engine by BoatDiesel.com. The 6BT5-9M is rated as a MCD- Medium Continuous Duty or a INT-Intermittent Duty engine.

Im not sure what the difference is, if the 6BT5-9M is a P-pumped engine or not. I know there are VP44'd 5.9L marine engines.

Hmm.. maybe I should pay for a few datasheets..

i remember that back a while ago that the duty cycle was only like 10% at 100%.. im wondering if the pump has a auto gov and if its a 12mm? anyway thanks for your imput guys.

you can send your pump to Mike at AFI (209)529-2416 in Modesto for whatever tweaks you may have in mind, he did my little 3.9 pump with 13mm B&P and a quick rate cam and some other things. he'll probably be at the tractor pulls in Napa on the 26th if you want to meet up.

you can send your pump to Mike at AFI (209)529-2416 in Modesto for whatever tweaks you may have in mind, he did my little 3.9 pump with 13mm B&P and a quick rate cam and some other things. he'll probably be at the tractor pulls in Napa on the 26th if you want to meet up.

ya that would be cool, thanks.. i dont really want to use sr diesel.. they charge way to much i think

i remember that back a while ago that the duty cycle was only like 10% at 100%.. im wondering if the pump has a auto gov and if its a 12mm? anyway thanks for your imput guys.

If its a constant RPM motor, it will likely be an RSV governor.

at least on gas boat motors they tend to run looser piston clearances to allow for the lower temp of the incoming coolant, as compared to a truck where the coolant is recirculated, combined with higher heat due to higher average engine load compared to a pickup

The 4bt with triples?

i don't think we're talking about the same place, but they've done well by me
anyway, good luck

no i meant the santa rosa diesel is my local shop that i dont really want to use.. i would like to try your guy..

Back