383 rwhp, stock hx35, tons of fuel, what gives???

Nick..
That was Jason's old puller.
It was Fall Brawl of 2004.
Here is the shot found of it sitting outside waiting to ambush everyone and a second shot of the cloud....Andy

Attachments

• f8tldose-000.jpg
    f8tldose-000.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 22
  • smoke2f8tldose.jpg
    smoke2f8tldose.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 21
Just some info from my old truck. 93 first gen, 5spd,P-Pumped,full cuts, cut plate,light afc spring,stock gov springs, Hx35/14cm wg,stock 3" down pipe and straight 3" exhaust,16deg timming, 393hp/903ftlbs @ 36psi and 1150deg on the dyno.

Only 1150? Is the pyro post turbo?

Nick..
That was Jason's old puller.
It was Fall Brawl of 2004.
Here is the shot found of it sitting outside waiting to ambush everyone and a second shot of the cloud....Andy

Nice.. How didn't he melt the PVC piping? (LoL) I seem to remember someone this last time around with a shiny red truck, and shiny exhaust tip and the rag to protect the chrome caught fire.....LOL

Andy

any thoughts on what i asked in my earlier post? Seems to me also, that If you must start a dyno at 1500 rpms with a manual, how do you make, in 400 rpms 500 plus horses, IE 100 horses per 100 rpms? Must be the trick the pros have figured out on these trucks..

stumped..

I will agree the 21cm housing is too big, but I just dont see why it would take it till 2600-2800 to light. I can light mine at 1400rpm with the 16cm loaded up good in overdrive.

I just think with a stock transmission you are really losing what should be getting to the ground. I think the reason the torque and horsepower peaks were at the end, were because the power was dropping off a little, and the transmission could grab a little better.

It is probably a combination of the 2, but i think the transmission is the main culprit.

Coop.. What hp pump was on that motor? and what injectors?.. 370s????

It was a 913 pump somewhere between 480-500cc's. Also had stock 370 inj.

Also thats my wife running for her life in the pic..... LOL

Only 1150? Is the pyro post turbo?

The pyro was pre turbo, 1150deg was on the dyno @ 36psi. It would make 48psi and 1500+ on the street if you let it.

Nick..
Jason actually had the piping soft when he left the bay that day.I believe the reason it didn't melt completely was due to his use of water methanol.The pipe when he backed out was actually bouncing.

On the flame on deal...
You know when that happened I wondered why they were scrambling around back there.The max values on my Intellidash for EGT's only showed 1400 so I have no idea why that towel caught fire.I have had the truck warmer there before when testing and that never happened.I blamed it on the wheelman as it was his fault,LOL.

Rick..
When we dyno we try and have most of the stick trucks runs started lower in the run between 1000-1200 rpms.I'd agree that overfueling certainly will snuff out any fire as will too much air.Remember,max HP with a 12v from the factory is made at 2600 and max torque is made at 1600,the closer you are to those numbers will allow you an idea of where you stand in your tuning process.12v's like a wide powerband and will elevate torque when its correct.The higher in the rpm sweep you make max power the lower the torque number will be as it will also move accordingly.Proper afc tuning is key when your dynoing because its not how much fuel you have its how you apply it with your chosen charger and timing.Just because one is maxed out fueling wise doen't mean power on the jet nor does it mean they will be able to sustain power above 3200 for other purposes.

Cummins Driver...
The difference between the 16cm housing you have and the 21cm housing is huge when it comes to spool up.I have seen many of both on dynos and can say what his truck did was a normal 21cm in action.Once his transmission is in lockup on the dyno if it slips it would show a very uneven line on the sheet that would look like the tires rattled.If his transmission was slipping that bad to affect spoolup on a inertia dyno then it would be seen daily when he drove the truck normally.

Coop...
Jason had more than your squeeze running for their lives that day,LOL.I have a photo of the old truck here somehwere I will find it for you.I know I see it about once a week on I-81 and it still looks good for a old first genner.....Andy

Back