3gsk drivability Questions

rs359

I have had my 3gsk kit in for a few years and I like the difference it has made I do not have a miss at any rpm and the truck pulls very hard . The only negative thing I have had is when the truck is cold it does not want to idle in gear unless moving. Any pressure and then sudden release on the throttle produces a stall. Once it heats up a little it will idle at a stop and once it is up to operating temps you can still make it stall by stepping hard on the throttle 1/4 or better then suddenly letting off, but this is not normal driving. Thanks for Bearing with me.
My questions are:
Is this normal behavior for the truck in my signature or have I done something wrong ?
Could a low idle be the cause as mine is a little low ?
Can something be done to tame this without giving up power?

I am used to giving up some driveability for performance gains but the next 12v is going in her Suburban and I will have to tame it down if this is normal.
thanks, for listening Rich:thankyou2:

check you idle should be 750 RPM warm in gear with ac on
sounds like that may be tour problem i have 3 gsk and i don't have a issue .

but low idle will do what you are speaking of

I had set the Idle with it warm and when it is cold the idle is lower . Is this normal? Thanks Rich

Mine does the same...

idle seems to be temperature affected even when i had stock springs...

Rick

Idle speed does need to be correct, but if the gov springs are adjusted a little to tight, you'll have some negative results. A quick easy way to check & see if the gov springs are to tight is this.
Engine warmed up, rev the engine slowly. The tach should rise with your pedal, in other words, if you rev it up slowly & the tach is following your foot, but all on its own, the tach goes higher, the gov springs are to tight. Usually you'll find the tach follows the foot until about 1400 rpm's, then, if the gov springs are to tight, it'll go to 1700+ all by itself.
Hope that helps.

Interesting Piers..

thanks! ill give that a shot see what happens

Rick

Smokem said:
Usually initiation + 5 clicks will cause the involuntary engine speed increase. The 180hp pumps seem to be the most prone to stalling issues.

So (sorry to hijack thread)

on my 887 pump, what is the proper setting? On my next days off im gonna redo my gsk... Im thinkin thats whats wrong with my ride.. I have a 4K tho that took me long enough to get it sorta dialed in, revs free to 3800 only...

Thanks Weston!

Rick

Thanks I will try this in the morning and see if it does this. Will springs being too tight cause a big jump in idle speed from cold to hot ? Thanks Rich

Smokem said:
I always set the 885-911 and 887-913 to initiation + 3 clicks on each counterweight. The 215hp pump seems not to encounter the hard start conditions as is common with the 180hp pump with more idle spring tension than this.

Ahh INterestin..

I shall redo my gsk to three clicks and initiation...

Piers...

what you said is exactly what happened to my truck... Springs are far too tight...

Many thanks to both of you for your help...

Rick

Ok I got a chance to check it idled slightly lower than 750 with the truck in gear. I did not notice too much free revving when slowly accelerated but there was a little Thanks Rich

Back