3K vs. 4K GSK

Countryboy07

What are the benefits, aside from the obvious rpm difference, in 3K GSK and 4K GSK?

The reason I ask, I just got a '97 Cummins and the truck is stock. I am wanting a little bit of extra power and am planning the following for right now;

1. Gauges - Pyro and Boost (waiting to install)
2. Fuel Plate - undecided if I want to grind my stock plate or run with out one
3. Tune AFC
4. GSK - undecided
5. Boost Elbow - sitting at home, waiting to install

I know that the transmissions are weak links in all of these trucks, but I will address that when the time comes. Let me know what you think of the list as well as if there are any added benefits to one GSK over the other.

BTW, The truck will mostly be used as a DD and around the farm. Probably tow in the 5,000lb.-20,000lb. range once or twice a month.

-French

for what you do all you will ever need is 3k springs

but to answer OP's question, 4k fuels harder at lower rpms, even if you never use the full 4k rpm range.

Unless you want to tighten down the 3k's a little extra. But that might cause other issues.

Buy a 4k kit and leave the small innermost springs out if all you want is a 3k governor spring kit. That way you'll have the stuff to make it a 4k kit when you want to.

Thanks for the replys guys, my truck is a manual.

The NV4500 isn't the weak link, the clutch is. Cheap (relative to an auto) upgrade, and it might be sooner than later. My 12v slipped with just a 10 plate in it.

Buy the 4k, you will want more later anyway. I bought the 3k for this truck, then bought the little springs later to get 4k.

from my experience low end fueling seemed to be about the same with the pdr 3k kit i bought and the 4k kit my friend has.. i can get over 3500 rpm if i need to in 4th gear in my automatic. imo for doing what your doing. i dont see why you need anymore rpm

from my experience low end fueling seemed to be about the same with the pdr 3k kit i bought and the 4k kit my friend has.. i can get over 3500 rpm if i need to in 4th gear in my automatic. imo for doing what your doing. i dont see why you need anymore rpm

your 3k kit doesn't give full fuel from 3000-3500... a 4k kit does. I don't see why someone wouldn't buy a 4k, it's not like they cost much more :confused:

i bought a 3000 kit first and then ended up buying the little springs later. i havent got the gsk in yet but when i do it the 4000 springs will go in.

your 3k kit doesn't give full fuel from 3000-3500... a 4k kit does. I don't see why someone wouldn't buy a 4k, it's not like they cost much more :confused:
thats probably true but it really doesnt feel like im defueling till im around 3300 but hey if im wrong im wrong. still for what he said he wanted i just dont see the need for it.

takes just as much effort to install the 4k as the 3k... if you keep the timing down around 15-16* or so, it won't really want to rev over about 3500... it WILL, but the truck will be doggy as it approaches 3400-3500, BUT, you'll be getting full fuel.

you're right, he'll probably be fine with the 3k's, but there's no reason not to do the 4k IMO :eek:

Back