3rd Gen 1500 cummins swap kit

cosmo22nov

Would anyone be interested in something like this? A bolt on kit to drop a 6bt and auto trans into a 3rd gen half ton. Since that seems to be the only one of the rams these engines done trip right into.

Motor mounts don't line up, trans mount doesn't line up, and a suspension piece has to be modified to clear the oil pan. And that's on a 2wd, not sure about a 4x4

It would be a simple relatively inexpensive kit that would include a motor mount solution, transmission mount, and a new suspension piece that will clear the oil pan.

So, you're telling me my dream truck (in my avatar) is just that, a dream?
Honestly, I haven't dug that far into it.
Okay, I won't build it and I'll scrap the project in the back yard.

Mark.

If I had went with a 1500 frame rather than modifying a 2500 frame I would snag one.

So, you're telling me my dream truck (in my avatar) is just that, a dream?
Honestly, I haven't dug that far into it.
Okay, I won't build it and I'll scrap the project in the back yard.

Mark.

the truck in your avatar would be a sweet truck just to rip around in.

Well if there's enough interest we will make a kit. One big problem so far is there seems to be more than one engine mounting location on the frame for the 3rd gen 1500. Like you can't pull a 4.7 v8 and drop in a 5.7 hemi. So it wouldn't just be one kit.

I have several :hehe: but the one I'm speaking of is a 2005 RC-SB, with a (knocking) 3.7 V-6 auto.
My avatar is a chop provided by someone I know, at my request.

If there are 3 sets of holes in the frame, wouldn't it be EASIEST to use the set that's closest to a 2500 with a diesel and provide ONE set of frame brackets in the kit?
All you'd have to do is forewarn the people doing the swap that the brackets need to be installed in X position.

Mark.

That is a good idea mark. What I need to do is go to my local scrap yard and see if I can find a few 1500's with the motors already pulled. I believe there are only two different mounting points. The 3.7 and the 4.7 I believe use the same ones. But once I figure out how many different ones there are I'll talk with my cnc guy about the best route to take.

But I just have to see how much interest I get. So all of you people viewing this and not saying anything. I just wanna hear a yes or no so put your .02 cents in.

I'll say yes on it and I might be able to contribute some info, as well.
I also have a place that allows people in to scavenge off of hulks that are ready to be scrapped.
There is the whole gamut of vehicles to get measurements from.

Next to it is a self-serve lot that usually has similar vehicles with the engine/transmissions still in them and up on wheel stands, so again, that's another place to garner more information.

As if I NEED anything else to keep me busy! LOL

Mark.

Back