3rd Gen Cracked Dash

Twisted Shifter

I am looking for anyone who has or had a cracked dash on a 3rd gen Dodge. We are getting very close to the NHTSA forcing Dodge to address the situation. If you had a cracked dash and paid to fix it, you should be able to get a reimbursement from Dodge once this is finalized. This is more than a cosmetic issue. In the event of a crash those broken pieces are going to become projectiles in the cab.

What I am asking is for everyone with this issue past or present to go to the following links and file a grievance. The only chance we have is joining together.

NHTSA

and

Auto Beef

I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

What about those without a cracked dash..... would it still break apart in a crash?

What about those without a cracked dash..... would it still break apart in a crash?

Any dash is likely to break in a crash, the problem with the defective ones is you have huge chunks of jagged plastic sitting loose or almost all the way loose thats gonna go flying. If its not cracked, you likely wont get it fixed because they will say its not broken LOL

Best of luck.

The 2nd gen guys have been trying to get the dashes covered by Dodge for about 5 years now.

We have even gone as far as to have Channel 6 News ot of Florida do a special about it on tv.

Dodge still hasnt done anything.

To top it off, they are no longer making the dashes. I picked up one around christmas of 08, and there were only 3 left in the country with the dark grey color.

Best of luck.

The 2nd gen guys have been trying to get the dashes covered by Dodge for about 5 years now.

We have even gone as far as to have Channel 6 News ot of Florida do a special about it on tv.

Dodge still hasnt done anything.

To top it off, they are no longer making the dashes. I picked up one around christmas of 08, and there were only 3 left in the country with the dark grey color.
I would suggest that you go to those links also. It cant hurt. I know my 99 had the problem, but it lasted WAY longer than my 03. If we all join together and push hard enough something will happen. I have looked into a class action lawsuit, but I am not sure that will benefit the end user as the attorneys will eat up most of anything we get out of Chrysler.

mine hasnt done it yet but my gf has an 02 1500 3rd gen body and her dashed is cracked will that work?

Mine is all cracked up also and I took it to the dealer about 6 months ago and they would not fix it they said my truck is too old!

Yes I need to go back and edit where I can ... Turns out this is an even larger problem. Looks like from 98 - 06 all had issues and its not just the trucks..... most ALL Chrysler products from this time frame have "plastic" issues......

The more I read the more I DOUBT my next vehicle will be a Chrysler product. Some how we need to get a massive campaign going! I am going to pay to have mine fixed, but it will be the last time!

My old superintendent's 03 1500 was cracked and it had 90k miles on it. My 01 has been cracked since 05 and I basically have no dash at all now.

My old superintendent's 03 1500 was cracked and it had 90k miles on it. My 01 has been cracked since 05 and I basically have no dash at all now.

Please take the time to file a complaint. Its going to take everyone pushing to make them fix it. Mine is going to cost me almost $1,200.00 out of pocket. Thats a good pile of cash in these times

Please take the time to file a complaint. Its going to take everyone pushing to make them fix it. Mine is going to cost me almost $1,200.00 out of pocket. Thats a good pile of cash in these times

In the process of filling it out as we speak. It's gonna cost me close to that if I buy all the parts from dodge. I need to get off my lazy rear end and call a thermoformer up and see what they'd charge to make a mold for us.

Filled out forms on both web pages.

Last edited:
it really burns my butt ... I started this in 2005 when the truck had 38,000 miles and the dealership told me that it was neglect and the truck was out of warranty so too bad. They have run me in a circle ever since, well they finally decided they want to talk, but now because the truck has 112,000 on it and its been 4 years they are only gonna split it because of its age..... :banghead:

Better than what mine said. Mine said tough chit we won't replace it unless you cough up the money.

Hope you don't mind but I posted your thread in the 2nd gen forums as well to help get more exposure.

Not at all the more we get to do it the better chance we have .... It has taken a great deal of me pushing to get the 50/50 split, but that is still going to cast me $1,200 for a dash I bought once already

I didn't realize the 3rd gen dashes were that expensive. The dash top on mine is only $400. The dash fascia is I think $2-300. Not sure about the part that my glovebox sits on but it needs a new one of those as well.

They have redesigned the dash so now you have to get new vent work etc. This is the parts list to fix mine.
Top Pad $142.80
Dash Assembly $590.80
Reinforcement kit $242.20
Base Panel Kit $447.00
AC duct kit 115.78
Ac duct kit defrost $86.66

I only paid $250 for my dash top from my local dealer.

How? I was quoted $400 for all colors. Funny, 3 years ago I was quoted $150 for a black dash but when I called last month they never made a black dash and they were all $400.

They have redesigned the dash so now you have to get new vent work etc. This is the parts list to fix mine.
Top Pad $142.80
Dash Assembly $590.80
Reinforcement kit $242.20
Base Panel Kit $447.00
AC duct kit 115.78
Ac duct kit defrost $86.66

That's freaking retarded.

Back