3rd gen motor rebuild ?'s

lowdiesel

I am going to remove block to inspect for possible damage from Amsoil Bmk-25 system.
What are some relatively good cost/gains mods that machine shop can do to block/ crank. I am also installing 188/200 cam so what about bushings being installed....

Btw head checked out good with magna fluxing and only needed 4 thous off to get flat. Also truck will be a DD and shootin 4 @ 750-800 on fuel.

Isn't it a 188/220 you mean?

Have rotating assembly balanced.

Get some 12 or 24v rods? Balanced / lightened / polished

Last buy not least, Keep it away from Me...lol
I'd like it to Run for longer then 3-4k miles before it blows up...LOL

As Swole said, swap the rods out and get the bottom end balanced. Best bet would be to check with Zach on the required cam bushings.

As Swole said, swap the rods out and get the bottom end balanced. Best bet would be to check with Zach on the required cam bushings.

Oh yeah... Forgot about the cam bushing question...

Don't think Zach says they are required...But I guess if you have the money, It dang sure wouldn't hurt...But I can tell you, it is an expensive mod...

Yeah Swole 188/220 yea my machine shop said 450 to line bore think I'll spend money elsewhere so balance bottom end and Rods(what year) what about crankshaft polishing

Yeah Swole 188/220 yea my machine shop said 450 to line bore think I'll spend money elsewhere so balance bottom end and Rods(what year) what about crankshaft polishing

Most use USA, England, Brazil, or Mexico rods from 94-98 12v or 98-02 VP trucks. As far as the crank, it will depend on what it looks like when you remove it IMO.

Also will this affect comp ratio and P-T-V clearance

Will what?

Sorry will using the other rods affect my P-T-V clearence or are they same length

Same length.. I have 24vVP rods in mine...

In my person opinion, if you are worried about piston / valve clearance, Use the 2 hole CR HG when you go back together.. It'll give you the extra bit of clearance...But you said they took off .004 from your head anyway, so you'll need the .004 back somehow.. The 2 hole thicker HG is just about .004 thicker than the std. HG...

Double check things before cranking though... Listen to Zach on all that stuff...

Will do, also I am ordering master gasket kit from Snedge for 200 bucks you can't beat it!
Is there any advantage to using early 3rd gen pistons or is that a whole mother can of worms

Last edited:
-Rods aren't really necessary at 750-800 hp, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.
-balance the rotating assmebly
-stake in all the freeze plugs
-check out the tolerances in the oil pump, or consider replacing it

-press in new vavle seats tighter than cummins specs, and stake them in
-tap and plug all the soft plugs in the head
-use all exhaust valves
-using studs for the exhaust manifold makes installing it by yourself much easier

When I rebuilt my 04.5, I went with the early CR pistons and injectors.

What can be done by me (like freeze plugs) also will using earlier pistons change comp ratio drastically....

Will do, also I am ordering master gasket kit from Snedge for 200 bucks you can't beat it!
Is there any advantage to using early 3rd gen pistons or is that a whole mother can of worms

Yes, I would change if you can... But you'll have to find some new injector tips too...You have to run the 8 hole (03-04) tips..

-Rods aren't really necessary at 750-800 hp, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.
-balance the rotating assmebly
-stake in all the freeze plugs
-check out the tolerances in the oil pump, or consider replacing it

-press in new vavle seats tighter than cummins specs, and stake them in
-tap and plug all the soft plugs in the head
-use all exhaust valves
-using studs for the exhaust manifold makes installing it by yourself much easier

When I rebuilt my 04.5, I went with the early CR pistons and injectors.

Good Points that I forgot too..(heads not on straight today..sorry)

YES, make sure to do the threaded freeze plug kit on the 11 holes under the valve cover..THIS is how I "Swoled" that motor where the rod came out both sides of my block..

Larger valve seats (staked / peened) in as well.... Keeps you from worrying about dropping a seat.. my head is like this too.

I didn't use all exhaust valves but thats a good idea too.. Your machine guy will take care of the angles / fit... It's Only Money, Right?? lol

What can be done by me (like freeze plugs) also will using earlier pistons change comp ratio drastically....

Freeze plug kit can be done easily.. I did mine..Twice..(two heads)... It's just time consuming...

:what:

Whats all included in this Master KIT??

make sure to measure piston protrusion to select the proper gasket. (they give you two different thickness')

if going the 03-04 route, check out qsb 480 pistons. I don't have any first hand experience with total seal rings, but a lot of guys like them.

-jp

Last edited:
install the early style piston coolers along with the newer bolt in ones.

Back