4 wheel drive stuck in low

firemanram

Why would the transfer case not want to shift out of low gear? I did switch to Amsoil about 6 mths ago. I pulled the fill plug out to check the fluid & it's about 1/2" below the fill plug. Do you think that the fluid needs to be up to the fill plug? It did switch after a little grinding & switching it back & fourth. Would the fluid do that?

You did make sure that the truck was in neutral right? I know that some trucks must be in neutral to switch out of 4LOW. I had a buddy panic when he thought he messed up his truck because it wouldn't come out of 4LOW.

Yes, it was in neutral. I have had the truck for 5 1/2 yrs & never had the problem before. I use the 4 wheel often also.

I had the problem before.
Try coasting with tranny in neutral and try to put the t-case in neutral while coasting. Then stop shut the truck off and put the t-case in 2H

did you check fuses and easy stuff? is the light blinking when you change it from 4 low to 4 high? then take the motor off the tcase have someone switch it. If that works then id guess a fork or something not real sure how those work since mine is a manual shift? im guessing it switches a lever on the side of the tcase it shouldnt be to hard to figure out

Need to hook a scan tool to it and watch and see if it is energizing the module to switch it. If i remember right it goes through the body control module. Had a chevy do the same thing was stuck in 4lo and it was a bad module. Also have seen the switch cluster go bad.

Back