4-wheel drive

DIESEL_POWER

NGM Diesel
anyone that under a truck for long will notice that the front axle on some 4-wheel drives are a LOT harder to turn than the rear, if turning by axel input.

well after replacing my tranny i got to playing around with mine and the rear is so effortless, yet the front is about 3-4 times as hard to turn. these axles have been well maintaned since new and i now have 92k on them, does any one have a idea on why it could be so much harder than the rear to turn?

thanks

Um.. u joints, and a slight bind put on the axles if the wheels are not turned perfectly straight?

really i dont know what it is, i have looked and everything is good, the front is just a lot harder to turn than the rear, i just replaced all the u-joints because of them being siezed( and one broke it's cap ) or wore out.

maybe this is why i need a 2-wheel drive.........

I don't guess all the 4 wheel drive launches at the strip has something tweaked??? Have you sent a sample of the oil out to be checked?

lmills said:
I don't guess all the 4 wheel drive launches at the strip has something tweaked??? Have you sent a sample of the oil out to be checked?
well the oil is fine as i took the axels out over the weekend and they have a little wear ,but not much on the splines, i sorta remember it feeling like this every sence it was new?

I'll throw mine up on the lift later tonight and see how they feel. I have never bothered checking.

Maybe cause the front also has the steering components to go through, its not just a straight shot to the wheels like the rear is? Maybe cause the front differential isn't as as close to center as the rear differential is, might not make a difference when the transfer case turns it as compared to when you try to turn it by hand?? I have no idea really, Just guesses...

Last edited:
ob1kobi said:
Maybe cause the front also has the steering components to go through, its not just a straight shot to the wheels like the rear is? Maybe cause the front differential isn't as as close to center as the rear differential is, might not make a difference when the transfer case turns it as compared to when you try to turn it by hand?? I have no idea really, Just guesses...

those are all great ideas and that may be the case, i just want to see if someone else has seen the same result, if it's the same fine but if not im loseing alot of power thru the front axel......

Usually has something to do with the pinion/ring gear...the front axle is literally driving the R&P backwards, unless it is a reverse rotation.

Plus the front usually has a lot less wear because they are not under load all the time...even with 92k, you probably have almost no wear.

It also could be the assembly...the assembly could have more preload than the rear...

I highly doubt it is a problem (other than the loss of mileage)...

steved

Back