46RH Intermediate/Output Shafts - Strength?

GO 4LO

I've got a built 46RH to drop into my first gen with a billet input, and I'll be picking up a laminated flexplate prior to install, too. Things have changed a little since I started the project, and I'm now planning for more than the original 500-550rwhp that I was planning when I ordered the trans. So I'm curious who has broken 46RH stock intermediate and/or output shafts (same as 47RH shafts without the oil passage, is my understanding).

Original plan was bombed 160 pump and a 2.5 single. I ditched that idea and picked up a 215 pump, and I'll either go with a bigger single, or possibly a big twin setup.

The truck is a 1993 250 4x4 reg cab. Since it's (relatively) light and the trans doesn't have lockup, I'm figuring I should be pretty safe into the 700rw range, especially if I keep launch boost low. I might also be going with a fiberglass frontend and bedsides to further reduce weight.

What do you think? What power level should this trans be safe to with light launches and no locked-locked shifts?

Chris

Last edited:
Back