46rh to 47rh

JakeDiesel

I have a 46rh trans that im getting ready to rebuild. Is is possible to give it lockup by using 47rh torque convertor, vb, celliods, and input shaft. I have an adapter plate for a 47rh so bolting it up and any work to the truck is not a problem.
Thanks Jake.

i think your better off just getting a 47rh instead of attempting to put everything on your a518.

i believe there are too many internal differences between a518 and 47rh then what you described in swapping.

The low/reverse band setup is different, the planetaries are lighter duty an/or have lower pinion count. The backing and pressure plates for the OD and OD/Direct are different.

I'm not a tranny guy so I don't know many of the differences. All that I know if from the differences I have seen inside my 47rh vs Joel's Garage A518 build.

http://joelsgarage.blogspot.com/2008/03/rebuilding-governor.html

First question, what are you trying to accomplish?

I plan on building a cummins to around 800hp, and what to use a auto trans manual vb, and want it to have lockup. So i plan on building up everything in the trans and thats why i was wounding if I could give it 47rh internals, and also 46rh vb are little harder to come by.

If the 46RH doesn't have lockup, then I don't think so. The lockup circuit goes from the vb, through the case, through the pump.

I googled and it appears the 46RH is a lockup trans, I am thinking the pumps are quite a bit different.

I think you would be better off to find a 47RH.

a518=46rh (non lockup)
a618=47rh (lockup)

you can convert a 46rh to lockup, but im gonna tell you right now save the broken tranny parts and build a 47rh.

If the 46RH doesn't have lockup, then I don't think so. The lockup circuit goes from the vb, through the case, through the pump.

I googled and it appears the 46RH is a lockup trans, I am thinking the pumps are quite a bit different.

I think you would be better off to find a 47RH.

46rh (a518) trannys were available in both lockup and non-locking versions. The 46rh used behind a Cummins was non-locking.

I figured that lockup was what the OP was wanting to do, which is why I asked. I haven't compared the cases, but I *think* they're different. Either way, there is enough different stuff between a lockup and non-lockup tranny that it wouldn't be worth trying to track down all the parts to make it work. Just start with a lockup tranny.

Back