47/48re diag and repair

Livnbreathdsl

Back again guys,

Recently I've rebuilt my transmission, I left the valve body alone at the time Incase I had issues it would be obvious which part got messed up.
I learned I actually had a 48re in it that was built by NAPC in Edmonton AB and I was never extremely happy with it. I decided to do the rebuild myself because I am very mechanically capable and like doing new things and learning how it all works.

The rebuild went well I thought, proper clearances in the clutch packs and all but I ran out of time and left the OD section alone, I am now kicking myself for that.

The valve body is a mess and I'm getting a new one sent to me today, I don't know exactly what they do at napc valve body wise but I pulled it apart and found about half of a transgo kit in it and running at stock line pressure on what they call the 450 series for 450hp and less.

I'd love to order up a goerend vb but it's just not in the budget right now, could maybe swing a revmax but I think I'm going to try and track down a stock vb and put my already purchased transgo kit in.

Now that everyones up to speed I'll get to the issues,

The 1-2 shift feels awesome,it's nice and firm and you know it's in gear but the 2-3(common from what I've read) is sloppy as... And when in third it revs freely and doesn't feel like its putting power to the ground untill about 2000rpms then you can feel it grab and pick up but if I lock it up in third all seems well? When it goes into OD it seems like OD lockup is happening at the same time as the 3-4 shift, when it does this the turbo barks at me which I'm assuming is because OD is slipping. My cruising rpms also seem to change but it may just be in my head.

After all this the oil is perfect, red as can be and does not smell burnt at all.

Sorry if it seems as though I jumped around a bit, I've been typing this over the last 4 hours. If you need more info just let me know, thanks guys.

Never been on a time restraint? I took the first clutch pack apart and could still see raybestos on the frictions. I knew it wasn't right but I really had no choice and that could be done in the truck at another time, I have a hoist to work on so it's really quite an easy task.

Now anyone with some real knowledge of a transmission want to chime in?

Well some of us with "real knowledge" are going to need a better explination of the problem. Is the convertor stock?

Not to be an ass, but my first post is the best advice any trans guy will give you. If you got in a rush, cut a seal, didnt properly check the vb, and didnt even go inside the od housing, you might as well pull it back out.

I know lots of guys who are very "mechanically capable" that bring me their transmissions or go somewhere and have it done.

Is this the same transmission that you used a plasma to take apart?

Is this the same transmission that you used a plasma to take apart?

Sure is, sorry I didn't mean it that way but it's how it came out so I'm stuck with it.

Goerend tripple disk, billet servos, billet input and intermediate, band strut,anchor and apply lever, raybestos high energy clutches, increased count in the direct drum, valve body was ok, I knew I needed to do work on it pressure wise but got the wrong shift kit before the rebuild. I wasn't in a rush building it and that's why I ran out of time is because I was meticulous about it all. OD always worked great so I thought maybe it could wait a week.

Sorry again for coming off the way I did.

unplug the the trans , shift thew the gears .. 1-3 ,, if that works fine valve body is ok ..
the 3-4 shift could be the rear cage roller "the one way bearing " could be installed upside down or could be bad .. that part of the trans holds 3rd and then shifts in to 4th . those items are in the overdrive unit

Back