47re Won't go Into Gear

Stuffy

First Gen
I recently put a 47re with a suncoast standalone valve body and pcs controller in my first gen. While cruising in overdrive locked it would hit neutral sometimes until I revved it up a little then would go again. Got worse until now when the fluid is cold it will roll a little with some throttle when I try to take off. If I let it idle in neutral for a while it won't do anything. Fluid level is good. Thinking it might be an internal leak but not sure where to start looking. Controller is also good.

Me too. Planning on bringing it to a shop. Built it myself the first time. Just wondering if anyone knew what it might be.

Pull it and figure out what you did wrong. Only one way to learn. There are quite a few of us now that build transmissions and will help as much as we can over the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The neutral drop could b related to worn engine mounts. I had this happen and when the engine would torque over under load it would pull against the linkage and shuttle it in between gear. Ruined that trans pretty fast. Just an idea.

I actually got it to drive a little ways yesterday then it stopped and wouldn't move again until it was cooled down. Kind of random almost when it's cold

I just left the hood up and mashed the brake and throttled the engine hard a couple times, you could see it twist up real bad in the engine bay and it actually popped out of gear for me while doing this. It will of course require that the trans is functional enough to load the engine.

Well it only goes into gear when it wants to. Could a misadjusted throttle linkage cause the same problem?

That would just give low or high line pressure, your shift linkage is where u should look. Also maybe the circlip fell off inside the case.

I really dont think motor mounts are your problem, buy you could switch to a cable instead of the stock linkage and then it wouldn't matter.

I had a tranny act up when warm, but would move a ways when cold. The material in the bottom of my tranny pan was clutch material from the torque converter. I was told to replace the cooler, since that fine clutch material cannot get cleaned out by flushing.

Eliminate the shifter being the problem by having a buddy hold the brakes with the rear on jack stands and getting under the truck manually putting it into gear from underneath possibly

Back