47RH Build! Advice?

Tech6023

Hi everyone Im new!

I searched for a 12V for a couple months and found a 94 3500 DRW 4X4 project truck for 2500.I trailered it home and drove it, the TC is shuddering pretty bad. The owner said the trans was rebuilt a few years ago by jasper, being in the industry i have seen what kind of quality they provide LOL.

I have read this: 47RH Transmission Tech - Budget Build Up - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together and several other post.

I've read several post on here but looking for advice on suggested parts. I ordered the ATSG book

I ordered a Transgo TFOD diesel shift kit, I was planning the reprogramer kit but i called transgo and they said that the reprogramer kit was the same kit with added parts for gasser that I wouldnt use.

Im planning a Rev max converter, havent decided on single or triple disc.

I have been searchen Ebay for rebuild kits
I have read post where Borg Warner clutches were recommended but I cant find a kit with all BW, Ive called several places that said there a combo of BW and Raybestos because of manufacturing issues with BW. One place I called said Raybestos was OEM. Rabestos stg 1s any good?

Looking for advice on adding clutches to my packs, what will I need to do? Get thinner clutches? and make sure my overall clearance is within spec? I have seen power packs

What material, brand of bands to use?

On planetaries, What is required to convert from the aluminum to 5 pinion steel?

What else should be used?

Truck already has 4 inch straight pipe, looken to add #100 fuel plate, boost elbow, mess with the pump and maybe injectors but nothing to major. I will use the truck to pull wakeboard boat or my Rock Crawler

I have allot of mechanical expierience, Grew up working on cars, Went to automive school, Worked at Honda dealer for 8 years, Rebuilt tons of manuals and Added updated warranty clutch packs and VB to FWD autos, torn down TH350's but have never put together a RWD auto.

Thanks for any advice!!

Re

Im Cheap but I have money to spend, I want something that can handle Stock turbo, with #100 fuel plate, intake, exhaust, pump turned up, boost turned up.

Im not looking to haul real heavy loads, Just a 3k boat plus trailer, My rockcrawler.

Heres what Im figuring so Far.

Tc
Revmax triple billet W/ extra low stall upgrade or single with upgrade.

Rebuild kit
Transtar w/ BW frictions and steels
+ frictions and steels to add to clutch pack

I already bought TG Tfod Diesel payed 76.00 shipped

5 pinion Steel front planetary

Whatever bands needed

HD spring for OD

4.2 ratio arm and band strut.

Aft mkt servos and accum.

I fiqure with single disc Im arround 700, with triple it will push me 950ish

But I havent even tron into my trans yet! I dont think I will need billet shafts and a single disc would be ok but IM leanen towards triple for peace of mind

RE

Ordered a Single disc billet recon converter this morning from Phil Taylor! awesome guy to talk to!

I will be doing this myself shortly, take some pics and keep us updated with your progress if you don't mind. :pop:

Im Cheap but I have money to spend, I want something that can handle Stock turbo, with #100 fuel plate, intake, exhaust, pump turned up, boost turned up.

A stock rebuild with a transgo valve body kit and a decent converter will handle that no problem. You're way overthinking this IMHO.

I would get a billet input. I'm just saying that because I broke mine with the setup u want. And that was not even doing boosted launches.

A stock rebuild with a transgo valve body kit and a decent converter will handle that no problem. You're way overthinking this IMHO.

Haha I often way overthink things! I've read alot of your advice for other people and I have gained knowledge.

Big blue set me straight and gave me some good info. He's running a single billet tc with a stock input on his junker drag and he hasn't had any issues.

I will wait for a broken input before I put the billet in since I'm not paying some one for labor.

Re

I think I found out why the trans failed, who over installed it last time didn't know that TV cable adjustment was important. There was probably 1/4-1/2 of slack I'm guessing. Nothing major in the pan

trans help

make sure you upgread the front clutch from four clutchs to five while you are rebuilding you can also do the same to the od clutchs these two upgrades plus converter and shift kit will do great as long as you dont boost launch it

Hi everyone Im new!

I searched for a 12V for a couple months and found a 94 3500 DRW 4X4 project truck for 2500.I trailered it home and drove it, the TC is shuddering pretty bad. The owner said the trans was rebuilt a few years ago by jasper, being in the industry i have seen what kind of quality they provide LOL.

I have read this: 47RH Transmission Tech - Budget Build Up - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together and several other post.

I've read several post on here but looking for advice on suggested parts. I ordered the ATSG book

I ordered a Transgo TFOD diesel shift kit, I was planning the reprogramer kit but i called transgo and they said that the reprogramer kit was the same kit with added parts for gasser that I wouldnt use.

Im planning a Rev max converter, havent decided on single or triple disc.

I have been searchen Ebay for rebuild kits
I have read post where Borg Warner clutches were recommended but I cant find a kit with all BW, Ive called several places that said there a combo of BW and Raybestos because of manufacturing issues with BW. One place I called said Raybestos was OEM. Rabestos stg 1s any good?

Looking for advice on adding clutches to my packs, what will I need to do? Get thinner clutches? and make sure my overall clearance is within spec? I have seen power packs

What material, brand of bands to use?

On planetaries, What is required to convert from the aluminum to 5 pinion steel?

What else should be used?

Truck already has 4 inch straight pipe, looken to add #100 fuel plate, boost elbow, mess with the pump and maybe injectors but nothing to major. I will use the truck to pull wakeboard boat or my Rock Crawler

I have allot of mechanical expierience, Grew up working on cars, Went to automive school, Worked at Honda dealer for 8 years, Rebuilt tons of manuals and Added updated warranty clutch packs and VB to FWD autos, torn down TH350's but have never put together a RWD auto.

Thanks for any advice!!

figure out what u want to do TO the truck and what you want to do WITH the truck and write it on a piece of paper. then call goerend transmission in iowa...talk to dave or craig. either one will tell you exactly what/where u need to spend the money...great guys...not there just to sell parts... :Cheer:

re

Tore down main case today and took the first clutch pack on overdrive unit(need to go to home depot and get PVC pipe so I can compress big spring)

I think I have the clutch packs named right, every book has the labeled different.

The Forward clutch pack(rear Clutch?) is gone! no friction material left, the all the frictions are warped, there is burn fluid on the pressure plate. There is some wear marks on the piston spring.

The front clutch is ok, I can still read the part numbers and BW on a couple disc. some of the frictions are browned but there is no hot spots on the steels.

O/D clutch pack? first set in overdrive unit. frictions look new but there are some hot spots on the steels.

Band look good.

all other hard parts look ok.

I took pics, will post later.

Tore down main case today and took the first clutch pack on overdrive unit(need to go to home depot and get PVC pipe so I can compress big spring)

I think I have the clutch packs named right, every book has the labeled different.

The Forward clutch pack(rear Clutch?) is gone! no friction material left, the all the frictions are warped, there is burn fluid on the pressure plate. There is some wear marks on the piston spring.

The front clutch is ok, I can still read the part numbers and BW on a couple disc. some of the frictions are browned but there is no hot spots on the steels.

O/D clutch pack? first set in overdrive unit. frictions look new but there are some hot spots on the steels.

Band look good.

all other hard parts look ok.

I took pics, will post later.

If I understand your description correctly, that one is a shifting clutch pack and it takes abuse on the 1-2 gear shift. It probably has (4) frictions, correct?

Re

It is the clutch pack that the input shaft is splinded into clutch hub, the 2nd clutch in the main case towards the rear.

Both clutch packs have a total of 4 frictions in the main case, I thought one had 4 and the other had 5?

Also how many lobes is the oil pump supper to have? I thought I read somewhere that it's suppost to have 15, where mine only has 12.

Back