47RH Dying again.........

deerefanatic

Always learnin...
Well, my trans looks to be dying again for the 4th time.... Was working great. Drove it 120 miles on Monday. Shifting firm, holding good power, just a dream. Yesterday jump in it for a parts run, and if I just barely tip into it, it slips like crazy... Took 1/4 mile to get up to 60 trying to drive it so it wouldn't slip. Checked fluid and it's right up to full, added an extra qt just to be sure. (The trans is in a Chevy/Cummins conversion, so the tranny doesn't have the back-tilt like it would in a dodge... Hence needing to be "overfull")

Gonna throw a pressure gauge on it today and see what's up.. Prolly drop the pan and look inside... Fluid smells burnt, and that's sayin' something being it's full of Hygard.... The trans has made metal something fierce since the day it was put in..... Less than 10k miles on it since the last build and I've changed the filter 3 times, metal in pan each time. And that's with an amsoil bypass filter in the system too......

I'm unfortunately seeing a stick in my future.. :doh:

Any ideas?

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I'd get somebody else to build the tranny. Obviously something isn't right.:Cheer:

A pressure gauge is your best bet for diag. How do you have your tv cable setup? Did you check your pressures with a gauge when you first installed the trans? If so then what was the pressure at the time of install?

Had to get other vehicles done. (Paying jobs first...) I'm getting ready to drive it in right now. when i installed it, I had about 105 psi at idle, and up to 150 at wot. Got the tv adjusted to totally max out the arm when the ip arm hits it's stop....

Yah, I know somethin's not right. I've replaced the front pump assembly, and replaced the valvebody and put a transgo TFOD diesel kit in it....

DPC Triple Disc converter
Sonnax Billet input
Sonnax Billet reverse servo piston
DTT All Billet 2nd gear servo
DTT Billet Accumulator
DTT Billet Direct Piston
Billet 4.4 Lever, Billet Band strut and anchor
6 disc direct clutch, 5 disc forward clutch, 6 disc overdrive clutch. Raybestos Hi-energy clutches throughout. Raybestos pro-series flex band for 2nd gear.
Extra holes for fluid intake to 3rd gear clutch piston. Holes drilled in outer diameter of 3rd direct drum for fluid evacuation from clutch plates.

As you can see, I at least TRIED to make it hold.. LOL

Just did a pressure test... 100 psi idle, 150 psi wot........ Slippin all the way. LOL

But, I can powerbrake in reverse and burn rubber.... Sounds like forward clutch is done to me..

Make dam sure your hubs not cracked. I have seen it happen before.

It's almost impossible to make 5 clutches work on the 47rh forward gear setup. The splines simply are not long enough to fully engage the clutches. As soon as one falls off, it binds up the rest of them at times and quickly wears out the entire clutch pack.

On the other hand, I've had zero issues with the 5 clutch forward clutch pack on my 47re tranny in my 98' daily driver.

FYI, I went back to a 4 clutch forward clutch pack in my Junker Drag Truck and it put 1576 ft/lbs down on the dyno in overdrive. I doesn't feel like it slips and so far the stock 4 clutch setup has been much more reliable than any other variation I've tried.

If you're handy with a tig welder, you could add to the splines on the middle portion of the forward gear and make the 5 clutch setup more reliable.

So what's the difference in parts between your 98 RE and your 95 RH? Obviously something is different or it wouldn't stay working....... I'm hoping to order parts today, so I can order whatever it is I'll need.

As for the hub, it's a Sonnax Billet input, but my trans builder that's going to do it this time (Stan, BlackSkyRacing) said he wants to get the thing magnafluxed.....

I agree with bigblue on the forward clutches. I use raybestos smooth(high energy) forward clutches and with a 4 clutch pack i havent had any problems with my mid to high 600hp truck. I am running more line pressure then you though.

If it is forward clutches i would also check out the bellville spring really well(probably replace it) and the height of the piston in the input hub. I know there were 2 different pistons used and the correct bellville spring must be used with the matching piston. I also setup the forward clutches pretty tight(.025-.030).

OK, got it out.... Torn apart.... Looking at the clutch pack from behind, the second disc in had all it's teeth ground off/folded over. That pack was burned down to metal on metal..... The other's were burnt, black, and coned, but not metal on metal. I'll check out the input shaft..... Has anybody sucessfully broke the hub on a sonnax billet piece?

Got a new return spring, 4 Alto red frictions, kolene steels, and new pressure plate and reaction plate coming, as well as another gasket/seal kit... Hopefully it'll be fixed for good this time. LOL.

Who ever built it didn't pay attention to all the details involved in inspection.
Why not put 5 pair in the rear clutch and 6 in the front while you have it open??
There are trade secrets!!
No, don't ask, I won't share them either!!

I built it. I did put 5 discs in the forward (rear) clutch and 6 in the direct (front). 6 in overdrive too. Oh, and putting extra clutch packs in is no trade secret. Its posted all over the net. But yah, Im havin a pro do it this time.

Back