47RH help, gurus?

Tech6023

Hi

Just rebuilt my 47rh for my 94 3500, added an extra clutch to every pack, billet servo cover, 4.2 arm, Dps converter, Transgo VB kit.

So reverse is strong and fine, 1st is strong and fine, shifts 1-2 arround 2000rpm nice and firm but it will not shift into 3rd at any throttle position unless i left of the accelerator, then it will shift into 3rd. when in third it will stay there aslong as im light on the throttle, it will shift into 4th and i can feel lock up.

Ive messed with the Tv cable and it doesnt really improve much.

Suggestions? Vb psi?

thank you!!

a bad gov. pressure solenoid will cause this problem, i've seen them work fine with stock line pressure, then the added line pressure cause them to fail.

Lavon

47RH valve bodies don't have a governor pressure solenoid. What is your line pressure at? It almost sounds like you need to back your shift point off a little. What all did the valvebody kit come with?

That happens. Do you have any other ideas? Besides tuning the valvebody?

Tech6023,
After reading a little more information about your particular transmission build, I would definitely make sure it's full of fluid.

Then you need to hook up a pressure gauge to the middle port on the passenger side (accumulator port) and go for a test drive and see what the pressure looks like at part and full throttle. Also check to see if pressure rises as MPH increases. It almost sounds like you might have something clogged up or not assembled correctly in the governor in the rear portion of the transmission.

i am having the same problem with my trans in a 95 2500 2wd. it shifts firm 1-2 but from there on its soft almost like stock.

I will test my pressures this weekend, the truck is at a buddys shop 45min away.

im pretty sure the trans is full of fluid, I checked it 8 times or so, i put in 12 qts plus what I had in the converter whick was probly arroung 5-6qts.

im wondering if I have a spring in the wrong position in the Vb for the 2-3 valve or something, Its a transgo TFOD shift kit.

i dont have much history on the truck, it did have a jasper sticker on the trans so hopefully the internals were right. when I bought it it would shudder bad and slip when warm, tore it down and found the clutch pack closest to the back of the trans in the main case burned up(sorry cant rememer the name) all other clutches looked new, still could read the park numbers, they were just dark from the dirty fluid.

I went ahead and replaced all the clutches anyways.

Im just worried if i keep messen with it im gonna burn it up again.

Thank you

re

Another thing I noticed when i was going arround 40 mph and was able to get it into OD when i would slow to a stop at about 10-15 mph it would make a really weird noise, almost like something was binding, only did it 2 times.

Bigblue im trying to remember when i assembled the govenor in the OD section, the one thing o noticed was it the was 3 clips, 2 small clips on the rod and one C clip that kept the little plunger thing in. I noticed that the opposite side had a grove also but I looked through the Atsg manual, WIT trans diagram and searched for pics online and nothing showed there being another clip.

Anyone near washington looking for a 1ton DRW 4x4 single cab!?!?! *bdh*
Runs good, could use a paint job!

Presures

ok I checked my Accum and Gov pressures

Gov psi is high about 2 psi per mph, at 25mph it was a 50psi

Line psi at accumulator was 75 at idle, varried between 100 at cruise and up to 125 depending on throttle pressure

any sugestions?

Thank you

Back