47rh is slow to lock up tq converter

DDually

Still spooling..
I bought a truck off here awhile back and it came with a built trans, lock up switch, and triple disk DTT tq converter. When i went to pick it up he told me that the tq converter locked up really slow and sometimes not at all if its cold. 15+ seconds in most cases. From what he had learned about it, it was DTT's old design that caused it to act this way.

Im not doubting what he thought it was but is there anything else it could be before i throw a converter at it? Also the converter holds power fine still...

The trans is in a P7100 swapped and 47rh swapped 92 first gen dodge.

Thanks,

Jared

I bought a truck off here awhile back and it came with a built trans, lock up switch, and triple disk DTT tq converter. When i went to pick it up he told me that the tq converter locked up really slow and sometimes not at all if its cold. 15+ seconds in most cases. From what he had learned about it, it was DTT's old design that caused it to act this way.

Im not doubting what he thought it was but is there anything else it could be before i throw a converter at it? Also the converter holds power fine still...

The trans is in a P7100 swapped and 47rh swapped 92 first gen dodge.

Thanks,

Jared

Bump... anybody?

Hahaha hahaha mine too. Built in 2007. I have to lift the throttle to get it to lock some times.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Yep that actually seems to help mine too. Very mild throttle input or decelerating and itll lock up much quicker. I would be stoked if it was the valve body. Does anyone know any more on the subject?

I had a discussion with the guys at FP but I have having trouble explaining that it's not an overpower issue. I have been toying with a few thoughts, one being that there is a problem with the lockup solenoid or its control circuit. In my case, the circuit has been replaced but not the solenoid.

Then that leaves a VB problem, which I'm not well versed in, but it would make sense for a spool valve to not be shifting appropriately because of an incorrect pressure differential.

Lastly is a piston failure in the TCC but I can't rationalize how changing throttle valve input would make a sticky piston unseat every time.

I've wondered if the orifice in the separator plate may be to blame.

I have driven my DTT parts 93k now, with that being an issue the entire time after overhaul. I've only had enough power to overcome my single disc for the last 4k or so, but like I said, the issue is with little or no power applied.

Mine actually locks pretty firmly at mid throttle. It's the light or cruising that it refuses to even try to lock.

I should add that this is with the PCM, a switch, and now with an anteater to control it.

I had a discussion with the guys at FP but I have having trouble explaining that it's not an overpower issue. I have been toying with a few thoughts, one being that there is a problem with the lockup solenoid or its control circuit. In my case, the circuit has been replaced but not the solenoid.

Then that leaves a VB problem, which I'm not well versed in, but it would make sense for a spool valve to not be shifting appropriately because of an incorrect pressure differential.

Lastly is a piston failure in the TCC but I can't rationalize how changing throttle valve input would make a sticky piston unseat every time.

I've wondered if the orifice in the separator plate may be to blame.

I have driven my DTT parts 93k now, with that being an issue the entire time after overhaul. I've only had enough power to overcome my single disc for the last 4k or so, but like I said, the issue is with little or no power applied.

Mine actually locks pretty firmly at mid throttle. It's the light or cruising that it refuses to even try to lock.

I should add that this is with the PCM, a switch, and now with an anteater to control it.

Have you tried changing the lock up and overdrive solenoid? I dont want to drive it like this anymore haha

my trans was first done as a DTT build around 2001 or so. Never locked up that slow. Had issues in cold weather, and still does with that valve body setup.
I run dex 3 in it since thats what the builder used, but was thinking of trying synthetic to help with the cold weather performance.
And yeah, I shredded the original single disc clutch about 65k after install, with pretty mild power behind it. 350-400hp maybe? It overheated and warped the cover made the whole truck shake when it locked up.
trans likes to go into OD and lockup at the worst possible times, like going up a hill. Might just make those two operations manual at some point.

Last edited:
my trans was first done as a DTT build around 2001 or so. Never locked up that slow. Had issues in cold weather, and still does with that valve body setup.
I run dex 3 in it since thats what the builder used, but was thinking of trying synthetic to help with the cold weather performance.
And yeah, I shredded the original single disc clutch about 65k after install, with pretty mild power behind it. 350-400hp maybe? It overheated and warped the cover made the whole truck shake when it locked up.
trans likes to go into OD and lockup at the worst possible times, like going up a hill. Might just make those two operations manual at some point.
And that's the answer to another question. The shudder is pretty awesome on mine when it tries to lock under heavy throttle. It started after I pulled a heavy load a few months after the trans was built. Also at 3-400hp

It hasn't ever put much material into the pan but a warped cover explains the failure mode.

OP I haven't done the electro's yet. Just haven't had time and hate to throw time and effort into a guess.

Electronics + VB + TCC will add up quickly on a truck that might be worth 3-4k. I might dig around for a used set to test with.

Are the 47RH and RE solenoids the same structure?

There's a hole in the vb you can open up to make it lockup harder. Mine is huge 1/4"+ and when I tow more then 10klbs it locks up with 20psi and the truck will buck so bad you'll break your nose on the steering wheel before you figure out what's going on.

Mine probably takes 2 Mississippi to lock up after I hit the ditch switch. I call it the ditch switch cause that's usually where the truck is pointed when it locks up:hehe:

Last edited:
There's a hole in the vb you can open up to make it lockup harder. Mine is huge 1/4"+ and when I tow more then 10klbs it locks up with 20psi and the truck will buck so bad you'll break your nose on the steering wheel before you figure out what's going on.

Mine probably takes 2 Mississippi to lock up after I hit the ditch switch. I call it the ditch switch cause that's usually where the truck is pointed when it locks up:hehe:

Which hole might that be?

I've had one that locked slow, would also kind of slide into locked. Changing the solenoid fixed it.

Jared's old 2wd truck?

I fought the same issue with my DTT trans back in 05-06. Never would lock up under any throttle, had to completely let off for several seconds for it to lock up. Replaced lockup solenoid, tried a suncoast valve body, nothing helped. I pressure tested the cooler line and it was showing that lockup was being commanded but the converter just wouldn't lock. Finally I sent my converter to spec rite and had it converted to a triple disc and changed the stator and that fixed the lockup issue.

Jared's old 2wd truck?

I fought the same issue with my DTT trans back in 05-06. Never would lock up under any throttle, had to completely let off for several seconds for it to lock up. Replaced lockup solenoid, tried a suncoast valve body, nothing helped. I pressure tested the cooler line and it was showing that lockup was being commanded but the converter just wouldn't lock. Finally I sent my converter to spec rite and had it converted to a triple disc and changed the stator and that fixed the lockup issue.

Ya this is Jareds old one. I think you were where he go the info from which is the reason i wasnt doubting it. Sounds like a converter for sure then i guess...

I mean it's not a guarantee, but I tried everything before changing converters on my truck and nothing helped. I talked to several people at the time who had the same issue and the one thing in common was DTT converters.

The shudder was horrible when mine went. Felt like a wheel was coming off.
I got a 4 disc one in there now think its a DPS converter? when it locks up its pretty quick, makes the turbo bark. Seems like it needs to be doing this either at higher RPM or not at all when im that far down on the throttle.
So far so good with the extra clutches.

I put a bottle of shudder guard in mine last night just to experiment. So far it has calmed mine some.

I trimmed the plate where the tc timing valve exhausts the fluid. I opened it up per the sonnax instructions when I installed the updated torque converter clutch timing valve. Mine locks up hard. I also have the tfod hd2 shift kit with the holes maxed, and the hole in the little cover that effects lock up pressure. Line pressure was in the 170s last time I checked it. I need to put my spare separator plate in because I'd like to try all the vb mods I have done with the same line pressure or more but smaller shift holes. It chirps the tires 1st- 2nd with less than half pedal sometimes and I put traction bars on because of how hard it is shifting - plus they look cool

I know you guys are thinking its a dtt converter issue. I'm not saying it isn't but here is an extra thing I did that made mine lock up quicker.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back