47RH overdrive and lockup

Zeppelin654

Lots of searching and yet I'm still in the dark. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of how to make the switches for the overdrive and trans lockup? Like what switches to use, and battery to trans and everything in between schematics. I thought I had the wiring right and nothing. Then my buddy said my switches were lighted so I needed a separate relay to actually ground out the circuit to make it work so I put them in and still nothing. Pictures tell a thousand words fellas. Thank you guys

You need to be grounding the wires, not applying power. Dont remember the pins off the top of my head.

If you want your switches to light, yes you need to run relays, and ground through the switched circuit of them

Pin #55 for od
Lock up wire is yellow with blue tracer, cant remember the pin #

Last edited:
12196316_10153420022614064_811409671757200783_n.jpg

I think I have these correct, but if someone could tell me how to wire these switches in laymens terms, I would appreciate it. Heck, maybe I have the switch wired wrong^^

12193432_10153420022669064_8370330338921441728_n.jpg

Then I was told to run relays with the lighted switches, and it still doesnt work:

12195885_10153420022604064_1403381213158622911_n.jpg

I'd really like to use the switches I bought, but if I need to go to a floor mounted high beam switch (old headlight switches), I'd like to know how to exactly wire that up. I just can't picture it......because normally a switch was power coming in and power going out, just when you flip the switch, it completes the circuit and power flows. What switch do I need and how do you make it go to ground, instead of just "losing power?"

I appreciate and help anyone has on this

Your diagram there for your relay appears to be correct. Are you sure you have 12V supplied to the middle of the plug. Grab a test light and see what you got going on there and see if it grounds the outside wires when you hit your switches.

I used zero relays and have zero problems. Bought a new plug for less than $10 for the trans. Power to the middle and then ran a ground wire from battery to each switch on one pole, wire from switch to plug on trans. Flip switch, it completes circuit, trans locks up or goes to OD depending on what switch you flip.

Looks like pins 2 and 3 are the poles of that switch. Ground from batter to pin 2. Wire from pin 3 to trans.

Make sure you put power to the middle pin.

Make sure you have a good ground

Make sure your switch isn't a momentary switch

Buy yourself a multimeter and learn how to use it people. They are easy and once you learn these electrical issues are as easy as pie.

If you have one you could check:

continuity in the wiring and check for bad connections

Figure out your switch you are using

Remember:

Your trucks electrical operates on power and ground....power and ground....that is it. Check for power, check for ground.

Last edited:
Man, you sure can over think something. I've been watching your fuel thread.

No relays needed. All these circuits are very low load. For lock-up I run a dimmer switch. I cut and connected to the yellow wire, extended it to the floor switch, connected a ground to the other side of the switch. I would guess O/D would work the same way. Now, if you want full manual lock-up and normal, stock lock-up, it gets a bit more complicated but not too bad.

It is true that you don't have to have relays, none of mine do, but he is wanting to use a lighted switch...

I used zero relays and have zero problems. Bought a new plug for less than $10 for the trans. Power to the middle and then ran a ground wire from battery to each switch on one pole, wire from switch to plug on trans. Flip switch, it completes circuit, trans locks up or goes to OD depending on what switch you flip.

Looks like pins 2 and 3 are the poles of that switch. Ground from batter to pin 2. Wire from pin 3 to trans.

I checked tonight, and I have 12 volts at the middle wire at the trans and 12 volts at prong #2 and #3 on the switch. #3 wire on the switch is the wire that hooks to the front wire for O/D (and rear wire for lockup) on the trans 3 prong plug. I apparently need to just take the #2 wire off and make that prong go to a wire that hooks to the negative side of the battery

Does that sound right bud?

Try swapping the wires on the switch. Might not help but for some reason when I used a led type switch to break a ground for my fan (led doesn't work btw) the fan would run all time with engine off even if the switch wasn't on. Swap the wires around and it works fine. Not really sure why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked tonight, and I have 12 volts at the middle wire at the trans and 12 volts at prong #2 and #3 on the switch. #3 wire on the switch is the wire that hooks to the front wire for O/D (and rear wire for lockup) on the trans 3 prong plug. I apparently need to just take the #2 wire off and make that prong go to a wire that hooks to the negative side of the battery

Does that sound right bud?

SOUNDS right. Without being there I cannot confirm 100% but you need to get ground to the OD and lockup controls. Think of it like the opposite of how most things are wired. Instead of constant ground and switched power you need constant power and switched ground.

That's where I think I messed up. I thought there was power to prongs 2 and 3 on the switch and the switch somehow put it to ground. Because prong 2 says incoming from power source. Now I realize that the power source is actually ground. So 2 is ground and 3 goes to the front wire off the trans for o/d and the rest wire for the lockup switch.

Back