47RH the same between the v10 gas and Cummins 12v?

thisguy65

Wanting to confirm that dodge used the exact same transmission between the v10 gas and cummins 12 valve. I've found the TC and Governor are different and are easy to swap out. My concern is different internal parts were use (sun ear, planetary gear, different operating pressure, etc.)

Also how many electrical hooks up are there on the transmission? 2 (neutral and converter lock up?). Safety switch would be 2 pins and converter lock up would be 3 (power, ground, signal?)

When I go to look at it, I want to make sure that I'm getting a 47RH and not a RE.

There are two connectors. One 3 pin just in front of the rear line port that's 12V, o/d ground, and lockup ground and the safety switch that's used for the neutral safety as well as reverse lamps. A 47RE will have a large round connector with something like 12 pins in front of the rear lines port coming through the case from the VB.
Another difference is the RHs O/D housing is much longer than an RE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The valve bodies are set up differently between the 2 but that can be cured with a shift kit. I'm not sure on if the planetaries are different or not. On the 2 we converted, we replaced them and I never compared the old stuff. The valve body connector is an easy way to tell for sure. Like stubz said, the 4x4 OD assemblies are a lot longer on the RH than the RE's. The 2wd units look similar though.

The valve bodies are set up differently between the 2 but that can be cured with a shift kit. I'm not sure on if the planetaries are different or not. On the 2 we converted, we replaced them and I never compared the old stuff. The valve body connector is an easy way to tell for sure. Like stubz said, the 4x4 OD assemblies are a lot longer on the RH than the RE's. The 2wd units look similar though.

May I ask how you knew the VB were setup differently?

I went and talked to a few transmission builders and they said they were the same other than the TC and Governor. I compared part numbers of the VB, planetaries, Pump on rockauto and "whatever it takes it" transmissions and all were the same.

Transmission s is $800 and I'll need a shift kit $600, rebuild kit (going to go a head and do it) $580 and a TC ($400). The truck will weight 3,500-4,000 pounds when done. Will not be hauling anything or towing, just a street rod.

When we tore a V10 and Diesel valve body apart, they had different springs in the same spots. So that would tell me the pressures were different between the two. These transmissions were supposed be original never messed with but you know how that goes.

When we tore a V10 and Diesel valve body apart, they had different springs in the same spots. So that would tell me the pressures were different between the two. These transmissions were supposed be original never messed with but you know how that goes.

I though the line pressure may be different as well but looking at the part numbers for both valve bodies from a service/replace side of thing they call out the same part number.

Maybe different spring (color or size) but same poundage?

If you are getting a diesel shift kit you should be good.

I have a V10 VB in my 47RH which is a mix of V10 47RH and 12V47RH.

Like said above the connecter is different between RE and RH that is easy to tell.

Otherwise VB, TC and Gov weights are different between V10 and 12V

not to start anything but I honestly don't think the VB is any different PATC, Built Right Trans, Suncoast comfirm them being the same. Looking at transmission part supply house and they both call out the same part number for VB replacement.

Governor I bought a used one with brass shifting weight. Still looking at TC's and deciding who to go with.

Even if the VB's are the same, it really doesn't matter because they sucked when stock/new and require new/different rate springs in them to make them live. I've never tried to put a V10 VB in a diesel RH and see how it acted. I have put a V10 govonor/OD assembly behind a diesel RH once to get a truck home and the shift points sucked. Haha Shoot, you can even use a VB from a 46rh if it has the correct bolt pattern. There are 2 different types on those.

Last edited:
yea, doesn't matter now because I have a v10 transmission..lol

Now just figuring out what kit and do dads I need. Already have a governor for a diesel.

Back