48re 2nd to 3rd slip issues ?!?!

KillerQuad

M. Tyler Moore
Hey guys,

Need some help here ... I have a built suncoast 48re in my truck that just got "Rebuilt" less than 6000 miles ago .... When they put fluid in my tranny, they came up about 4 quarts low as i have a large capacity pan ... I did not realize this till after about 300 miles of driving as the truck did a lot of sitting in a garage this winter ...

So my question pertains to a REALLY bad slip im getting going from 2nd to 3rd ... It is almost like some one pulls the clutch lever in on an ATV and Revs it up and slowly slips the clutch out .... does it REALLY bad when you slow down to let someone turn infront of you or when in traffic just rolling about 15 - 20 MPH ....

Do you think that the Clutches are fried from low fluid level for that short time or what do ya'll think might be going on here ?????

PS .... It doesnt JAM into 3rd gear like it used to with the shift shuttle, this just does what i would call "SLIPS" in ... When it gets hung up between the two it jumps back and forth like an old car with the tranny going out on it ... If i could give a verbal sound of it, it goes, Whaaaaaaa Whamp Whaa Whamp Whaaa Whamp, "Shift"... <<<< Do we understand that ... :lolly:

Thanks for any help .. :Cheer:

I'd call suncoast and ask for Ernie if it's a built billet unit by them.. If so they will help ya out on the fix

Who is "they" and how did "they" not know they didn't have the tranny full? It is kind of hard to screw up even with a deep pan unless "they" didn't know what they were doing...

You can try adjusting the front band to see if it helps the flare, but I'd be concerned about a burnt up direct clutch pack. Can you slip it in third or fourth if you roll into it?

I'd be taking it back to "they" and ask them to right their wrong.

Who is "they" and how did "they" not know they didn't have the tranny full? It is kind of hard to screw up even with a deep pan unless "they" didn't know what they were doing...

You can try adjusting the front band to see if it helps the flare, but I'd be concerned about a burnt up direct clutch pack. Can you slip it in third or fourth if you roll into it?

I'd be taking it back to "they" and ask them to right their wrong.

can not slip it from 3rd to 4th that i know of ... i can feel it and can still get the rear end squirlly when the charger lights going from 3rd to 4th too ...

Now as of last night, 1st to 2nd is flareing and if i am driving at < 20mph it acts like there is no gear for it to go to ... first time it has happend EVER ...

im going with the clutches are FRIED from lack of fluid ... :doh:

Oh and THEY, is not me ... Thats all i wanna say, cause i feel it was an accident and not intentional by any means so just so long as THEY own up to it, all is well ... :Cheer:

Any more ideas would be cool ... But i am going to see when they can get my truck in their shop ... Hopefully i can get a quick 2 or so day turn around as this truck has been turned into my DD .... Great time for this all to happen ...

Well, i was told that it was my direct drive clutch ... sooooo, he said he can get my tranny after labor day ... so that's fine, but I have to drive this shiftless hog till then ....

But, they also said that my low fluid would have caused an instant problem, and not have taken 6 months to rear its head ... but, I dunno .... I hope he isn't gonna balk on replacing it ... he also said that my truck is putting out sipping much power that it just tears the clutches up, but I don't have studs so the smarty tnt has never been over level 3 ....

So, I guess we will see ....

my 47re recently started doing the same thing flared 3rd gear shift, and also the converter wants to come unlocked all the sudden with a lock up switch......:( not too happy about this but its probably something pretty simple, as i've had no issues with the tranny in almost 40,000 miles.

My wife's truck does the same thing, but its only if you dont let it shift through all of the gears before letting off the throttle.

My truck still has the same Engine oil in it as what was put in it when the tranny was rebuilt ... Thats how little time i have on this tranny build.

I checked my Tranny fluid the other day and i think that i could drain it out and put it into bottles and set them back on the shelf and no one would know ... :hehe:

We will find out what they have to say next weekend ... I HOPE !!!!!

Try adjusting your front band since you have to wait anyway try it and see what that does!

You could also check your mainline pressure to make sure that its not a VB problem...If the fluid is good as new, its hard to believe you smoked the directs.

Lavon

how come ts doesnt make a shift master for an early 04? i have the shuttle shift in mine still after replacing the solenoid..and wanted to get the shift master but doesnt look like they make it for my year

Back