48re accidental lockup up, now slipping.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
06 5.9 with a full billet TRE trans was accidentally locked at idle speeds. He said it clunked really bad twice and then seemed ok till he put about 100 miles on it and now it is getting hot and slipping. Any ideas what broke or bent?

Well we pulled it tonight and its at a local trans shop. Took exactly 30 minutes to pull till we were done. Probably 20 minutes till it was out of the truck, we have it down to a art. LOL

No help to you but I've done that dozens of times without issue, so unsure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well he did tell me it was in reverse so idk if that makes a difference or not but its definitely toasted :/ Hopefully we will know something tomorrow.

ive locked mine up several times on accident. never a problem beside almost stalling out the beast.

reverse..... that's a different story. there are a few different things going on internally...

Yeah stalling out your truck is the main issue if the truck didn't stall out then it was toast already!

Forward clutches were totally smoked and there was some galling on the input shaft....

That sucks! Not enough line pressure get a goerend CP VB

That will not solve his problem. I would need to see pictures but failed or burnt Fwd clutches could be from a few other sources too. Line pressure is just a cog in the total picture. Tim does build transmission the right way.

That sucks! Not enough line pressure get a goerend CP VB

agreed! it may not solve all of his problems but it will be less likley to happen next time.

i got rid of my lock up switch after i passed up 700 rwhp... it just causes more problems when your making power... JMO:ft:

Did you guys call Tim yet?
He's on a cruise right now sadly. The trans is back in right now, will be driving shortly. The local trans guy couldn't find anything obviously wrong so he put it back together with Raybestos clutches. He's not a performance trans guru but is a super nice guy and seems knowledgeable, plus he went through the whole trans and replaced those clutches for $100 cash.

agreed! it may not solve all of his problems but it will be less likley to happen next time.

i got rid of my lock up switch after i passed up 700 rwhp... it just causes more problems when your making power... JMO:ft:
This truck is over 800 at the wheels but he has been super easy on it since we put the trans in last time. Not a single boosted launch or burnout. :/

I saw a post the other day that a guy had a messed up input shaft and it toasted the clutches. I would definitely say a better valve body might solve the problem in your case. could be a clearance problem in the clutches that it smoked them that quick. Also, Several of those codes have to do with the electrical in the valve body so I would start there!

Last edited:
I've bumped my switch in reverse and it doesn't lock till I'm sitting in middle of the rd and drop it in drive. It's Garmon stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back