48re issue

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Trying to help my neighbor out with his 05. The truck has been babied, its 10 years old with 54k on the clock, light snow plowing, the heaviest it has towed has been a dry 20 ft camper. He is 64 years old and drives like it.

The transmission has a very harsh downshift banging as you come to a stop. It hits so hard it will jump the truck forward a few inches just as you come to a stop. It does this about 70% of the time. On the occasions where it does not have this hard bang, when you take off again the truck will free rev like it is in neutral for a second or two then bang into gear like a neutral drop and take off.

I am sure its VB or sensor related and not hard parts, but I am not even sure where to start with helping him fix it.

So there is no way to check these without throwing parts and money at it to try new parts?

So there is no way to check these without throwing parts and money at it to try new parts?

Yes there is. Get with someone who has a diagnostic scan tool that can watch commanded line pressure versus actual to see if the transducer is reading correctly or the gov solenoid is responding with pressure. More then likely it's one or the other but you need a scan tool to help point you in the right direction. It's good practice to replace both while your in there at that mileage and age.

Back