48RE Performance Transmission Rebuild

Failed at roughly 230-250psi line pressure, it now has a stock servo and a billet band from Suncoast. 48re with pcs/ATS valvebody

eqesejaj.jpg

This is usually the results of a 2-3 locked shift bind up. With a 48re 5.0 lever we have seen this 3 or 4 times. Running the TCS Billet servo (not the Sonnax, those bind up worse then stock) with the stock spring, and the 4.2 ratio lever, we have not had one band failure with the BW Band.

When a bind up happens, the 2nd gear band is still applied when the 3rd gear clutch comes on and if neither slips, either the band will break or it breaks an intermediate shaft when the converter is locked and cannot absorb the bind up.

Lavon

This is usually the results of a 2-3 locked shift bind up. With a 48re 5.0 lever we have seen this 3 or 4 times. Running the TCS Billet servo (not the Sonnax, those bind up worse then stock) with the stock spring, and the 4.2 ratio lever, we have not had one band failure with the BW Band.

When a bind up happens, the 2nd gear band is still applied when the 3rd gear clutch comes on and if neither slips, either the band will break or it breaks an intermediate shaft when the converter is locked and cannot absorb the bind up.

Lavon

I agree, those sonnax Servos are a pain to deal with. That is the servo that was in this transmission at the time of failure with a 4.2 lever. Our failure was a tuning issue/ tps loosing its ground and commanding full line pressure. I have the line pressure tuned in MUCH better. It was a steep learning curve LOL

Running that much pressure have you ever had issues over centering or collapsing the Belleville return spring in the forward clutches?

yes, it didn't take it out immediately but the piston did eventually over extend and catch the lip seal due to a busted/weakened belview spring.

Awesome thread.

I had the DNJ/GM sensor in my trans for years w/o a problem and then I just got my transmission rebuilt and the builder used the Borg Warner one. Not sure how it will hold up or how it even works as the trans is pretty much a paper weight right now....

Tobin

Lavon

Hm. This has me second guessing my Sonax servo and accumulator piston now that you mention this binding issue. I have the stock ratio lever and wondering if I should up to the 4.2 now.

I wish this thread would have started about 5 months ago. Might have saved me some head aches. :doh:

The older style (47rh/47re) belleville spring will handle 225 psi, the newer 48re style spring which is very similar to the ancient 727 belleville spring will handle 200 psi.

Now I'm curious. More info on this or is it secret squirrel stuff? That silly return spring is like the only thing keeping me from raising the pressure a bit more.

Sent from phone

To be honest I'm not even sure. The guy that built my trans had them made up with his logo engraved in them. I just know it works with the higher line pressure. You probably could get away without one like Will said. But I have a spare one in my tool box, and its a piece of mind knowing I don't have to worry about it.

This is the original intent for the forums, seems the last few years it has been nothing but a circus show, thanks for putting up real material!

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived in belvue once

Bellevue? My condolences, that's on the wrong side of the mountains

Will, you must have amazing patience for all these pics! I set out to take pics when I did my trans and only made it through the VB before I have up

Last edited:
Main Case Rebuild

First off drill a hole in the rear of the case to promote additional lube flow to the rear sprag:

48reMainTrans3_zpsea33ceb7.jpg

48reMainTrans4_zpsafb4fa98.jpg

48reMainTrans5_zpsf46d0b27.jpg

View from inside case:
48reMainTrans6_zps78740093.jpg

Next remove low/reverse servo and lever by removing rod holding lever in-place:

48reMainTrans7_zpsf85bb55d.jpg

48reMainTrans8_zps1d73bdfc.jpg

48reMainTrans9_zps7692e294.jpg

New sonnax center pin and low/reverse servo cup:
48reMainTrans20_zps63dd3ce9.jpg

New Sonnax low/reverse servo parts on left:
48reMainTrans21_zps7322db6a.jpg

48reMainTrans22_zpsab689144.jpg

48reMainTrans23_zps9bf6d2ac.jpg

Install new seals from rebuild kit:
48reMainTrans24_zps5948bac9.jpg

Lube with trans fluid and install:
48reMainTrans25_zpsd66f73d9.jpg

48reMainTrans26_zps9b318406.jpg

48reMainTrans27_zps983e5174.jpg

Install new seals provided in rebuild kit and set lever and shaft aside for later final install.

48reMainTrans28_zpse0fd571e.jpg

Next remove the 2nd gear servo and lever, start by removing the 1/4" pipe plug inside the bell housing to gain access to the lever pivot rod:

48reMainTrans10_zps29534907.jpg

48reMainTrans11_zps054eea2b.jpg

48reMainTrans12_zps1fec3b30.jpg

48reMainTrans13_zps25b188a0.jpg

Compress the 2nd servo cover and remove the snap ring and servo components:
48reMainTrans14_zpsc03ca34c.jpg

48reMainTrans15_zpse0f3e848.jpg

48reMainTrans16_zps0c50419c.jpg

Install new Sonnax upgraded 2nd servo cover:
48reMainTrans29_zps5ab04d1d.jpg

Sonnax cover has added groove for a sealing o-ring to help clean-up the 2-3 gear shift.
48reMainTrans30_zpsa67ca188.jpg

Tear down the servo to replace the inner o-ring seals with new ones provided in rebuild kit.

48reMainTrans31_zps297ff922.jpg

48reMainTrans32_zps1023909c.jpg

48reMainTrans33_zpse5fd4e8b.jpg

48reMainTrans34_zpscfd7e100.jpg

Upgraded 4.2 ratio lever on the left:
48reMainTrans35_zps9811147a.jpg

Install lever, pivot rod, and replace the 1/4" pipe plug complete with sealant.

48reMainTrans40_zpsb0009ba2.jpg

Back