48RE Swap in a 6.7

Suncoast has a stand alone, pcs controller, and valve body. Goerend is building me a 48re right now for it. Ron at suncoast, and Dave Goerend said good things about it. Other than that, you would have to run a recovery for a manual trans truck, and maybe lengthen you're drive shafts.

Suncoast has a stand alone, pcs controller, and valve body. Goerend is building me a 48re right now for it. Ron at suncoast, and Dave Goerend said good things about it. Other than that, you would have to run a recovery for a manual trans truck, and maybe lengthen you're drive shafts.

as you know I am interested in this swap but what do you mean by recovery for the manual truck? ...... what would be involved

as you know I am interested in this swap but what do you mean by recovery for the manual truck? ...... what would be involved

If you already have a manual it doesn't matter. If you have a auto, the ECM needs to be reflashed for manual software. That's all

It's easy days! Suncoast has all the toys to make it all work for you

there are a TON of variables with that equation... expect in the ball park of 10k for a full competition billet unit.

Contact me if you're serious about a swap and we can crunch some numbers.

there are a TON of variables with that equation... expect in the ball park of 10k for a full competition billet unit.

Contact me if you're serious about a swap and we can crunch some numbers.

Thanks Ryan - will do.

We've done one complete swap, sent Acorn616 parts for his swap and are considering a swap in mine right now too... we're not quite experts in it yet but it's coming along nicely! There are a lot of variables like I said, mostly with what your bringing to the table auto/manual and if you have a core 48 to turn in.

Figure: tranny itself ($5300 for full billet internals 48re), tq converter, flex-plate, core fee (or not), PCS standalone controller and valvebody ($1800ish)... I think you get the idea. Some funds can be saved by using stock pieces in lieu of billet, but if your putting a 48 in it, why not do it right?

We've done one complete swap, sent Acorn616 parts for his swap and are considering a swap in mine right now too... we're not quite experts in it yet but it's coming along nicely! There are a lot of variables like I said, mostly with what your bringing to the table auto/manual and if you have a core 48 to turn in.

Figure: tranny itself ($5300 for full billet internals 48re), tq converter, flex-plate, core fee (or not), PCS standalone controller and valvebody ($1800ish)... I think you get the idea. Some funds can be saved by using stock pieces in lieu of billet, but if your putting a 48 in it, why not do it right?

I agree with you. I only know of a few places doing swaps around the country and that seems to be the toughest part. More than likely, I'll just drive to FWB and let you guys do it lol.

I'm not building my truck like Acorn . . . I just want 600-625 and the ability to have a solid transmission behind it. Something to race a few times a year and stand up to street abuse.

I agree with you. I only know of a few places doing swaps around the country and that seems to be the toughest part. More than likely, I'll just drive to FWB and let you guys do it lol.

I'm not building my truck like Acorn . . . I just want 600-625 and the ability to have a solid transmission behind it. Something to race a few times a year and stand up to street abuse.

I only wanted about 500-550, when I started:badidea:All this. Jk, I think you would be more than happy, with a 48. :Cheer:

That would be the best setup for you, I would probably be heavily involved in that swap.

Our shop truck is a 599rwhp truck on dunbars dyno and when we put the slicks to it we can kill a 68RFE in one pass down the 1/8th. :doh:

Send me some specifics on your truck

Just a quick question, why couldn't you guys swap in a 47RH??? I understand that there is no throttle cable to deal with on these trucks, but why can't someone modify a pedal assembly to use a cable to run the throttle variable? I would imagine a slightly customized pedal would be a lot less to make than a whole stand alone controller :poke:

Are the 68RFEs that bad? I am tempted to get a new truck before they all get exhaust fluid added. Can the 68's be modded to handle any power?

Tobin

Just a quick question, why couldn't you guys swap in a 47RH??? I understand that there is no throttle cable to deal with on these trucks, but why can't someone modify a pedal assembly to use a cable to run the throttle variable? I would imagine a slightly customized pedal would be a lot less to make than a whole stand alone controller :poke:

A few reasons... #1 reason, ask Aron Nick (Acorn616), he's been there done that now has a 48re with standalone

#2 If you want to adjust anything (nearly ANYTHING) on a 48re with a standalone, its as simple as plugging in a laptop to the USB cable. You can even run multiple profiles (towing/dd/racing). Aron's truck wasn't shifting early enough and was tapping on the rev limiter nearly between every shift. If that were a 47rh and you needed to make the adjustment, at a minimum the VB's coming out... with Aron's truck we walked over with our laptop and fixed him up in 10 minutes while he was in staging for the next round of T&T before the TS races.

#3 TRANSFERCASE... input shaft on the tcase for a 47RH is different, i have no idea what needs to be swapped on what pieces to make a 47RH tranny compliant with a newer tcase as we havent even tried. I can tell you a 48re bolts directly to a tcase that was behind a 68rfe without issue.

All that being said, if you want a solid auto on the cheap, you've got access to a donor transfercase to go with it, didn't have an electronic tcase to start with and don't care about on the fly adjustability... get a 47rh! When I gether the cash and find a buyer for my NV5600 i'm jumping straight to a 48 no questions asked :Cheer:

Are the 68RFEs that bad? I am tempted to get a new truck before they all get exhaust fluid added. Can the 68's be modded to handle any power?

Tobin

Relatively safe up until the 500+hp mark. We've got the hardware squared away, we've got to get the software working on our side and we should be ready with that for a trans go to to around 700rwhp. Anything past that or for serious dragracing, a standalone 48 is the hot ticket

I'll be doing a 48re in the spring time I hope. My truck don't run I killed the 68rfe but it had 230,000 miles on it.
Do you have to get the 48re transmission adapters?

Adapters? None needed, it bolts in place perfectly of a 68, just have to get the electronic valvebody happy (pcs standalone controller) and your good to go! I'm not sure on your setup, but if you're still running a regular 6.7 ECM, you'll need an H&S tuner or a Smarty to flash your truck to make it think its a manual tranny otherwise it'll be PISSED OFF looking for the 68 TCM/VB

I just found a 6.7 ECM for 250 for a manual. Tranny lines the same also?
Sorry for all the questions

Back