48re T/C - How far does it stick out?

calltrex

Anyone know how far the TC is suppose to stick out??

I put a new billet TC on and not sure if its suppose to be out that far. Its 5/8 above surface..

I didnt pay attention when i took the stock on off. I sent it back already for core.

99% pretty sure its on all the way. Looks like it will hit the case if it goes in anymore.

cant find any pics of the 48re with TC on to see

P1240001b.jpg

P1240002b.jpg

P1230008_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Did you turn the converter a few times while pushing it on to make sure it seats? Looks like the new converter uses the actual "body" for the flex plate bolts instead of the oem style with the welded on "nuts" which makes it look thicker in a sense.

I did the same thing when I was putting in my new trans. I don't remember what the measurement was, but I think you're in the ballpark. You may want to pull the TC and put it back in again. The second seat was very pronounced once I found it. It's also much easier than pulling the transmission back out after you've discovered you didn't get it fully seated the first time... :doh:

It looks right to me... when you put it in the truck get the bellhousing bolts in and tight, then before going any further, take a straight screwdriver and pry the converter front to back. there should be at least 1/8" movement... if its tight with no movement the converter is not on all the way.

Lavon

Stick your fingers between the bell and the converter. If you say you can't reach the flat on the back of the converter, then it's in. Then double check it like Lavon says.

5/8" is gtg. If you're unsure you can measure from the adaptor to the flexplate. It should be 3/4" ballpark.

cant get fingers back there.

it just looks like it sticks out farther then it should.

should be ok then. just wish i looked at the old on just to compare

When you rock the converter back and forth, can you hear the converter hub taping lightly as it hits the pump lugs and starts to turn the pump? If you get a little knock as you turn the converter back and forth, you know it's in.

By the looks of the other three methods people use to check, sounds like you're good to go.

When you rock the converter back and forth, can you hear the converter hub taping lightly as it hits the pump lugs and starts to turn the pump? If you get a little knock as you turn the converter back and forth, you know it's in.

By the looks of the other three methods people use to check, sounds like you're good to go.

ya i can hear it hitting the pump tabs

thanks

whats funny is the factory manual says its suppose to be .5" below surface of case

ya i can hear it hitting the pump tabs

thanks

whats funny is the factory manual says its suppose to be .5" below surface of case

If the billet cover had welded bolts like the factory one instead of a solid full thickness ring at the flexplate mounting surface, it would be .5" below the surface of the case.

From the dodge factory 48re tranny manual

(6) Check converter seating with a scale and straightedge (Fig. 241). Surface of converter lugs should be 19mm (0.75 in.) to the rear of the straight- edge when converter is fully seated.

Attachments

• comp1.jpg
    comp1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 0
Back