48re with 47re overdrive housing. Park problems, need help!

MegaCabRam

When I bought the truck the od housing was cracked so I ordered a 47re housing off ebay, I put it in and used the rod they sent but I used the park pawl and other components out of the 48re, it never was right and would sometimes have to roll a little before it locked in then eventually it just quit even trying to lock in at all so I just got used to using the parking brake... fast forward till now (about a year and a half) and I've got the truck sold but the guy wants it fixed first, I tore it apart last night and the flared end on the park rod that kicks the lever out was broke in two and had fell off, I assumed it was caused from me using the parts out of my 48re housing so I put in a pawl and other park components out of a 46-47re and a park rod out of a 42re. Now I'm in worse shape than I was before, it will roll and click like it's trying to lock and maybe 1 out of 10 times it actually will lock in but almost every time you put the lever in park it's hard to get it back out whether the truck has locked in or is still rolling....

From my research the 42re park rod should work and I compared it to the other one but something is obviously not right and I need it fixed in a bad kind of way.... any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
It acts like the park pawl isn't engaging fully, is there any way to adjust so that the rod is farther forward or back? We took the shift cable loose and manually put it in park with no change so the cable isn't the issue

47re has a different parking pawl an park rod then a 48re. whats the bore for the detent ball look like?

Last edited:
I have the 47re rod and pawl in it and I have no idea, I didn't pay any attention to it

All I know to do is get a true 48re housing and components, everyone says the 47re housing will work but I just don't see it ever being right

I believe you need to use all of the components from a 47RE, or all from a 48RE. I don't think you can use the 47RE rod with 48RE park pawl.

I think I have all the 47re stuff in there, the 48re pawl won't work in the 47 housing because the pin that holds it in is bigger... I've found a 48re housing and I've still got all the parts from my old one so I'm just going to swap it all back out.

When i get there the guy i thought had a 48re housing tells me that its actually a 47re housing but everything is the same, so now im back looking for one again...

do you have a atsg manual? if so look at page 106. if not pm me your cell number an I can send you the info on that page about parking rod, an parking pawl

Yea I have the pics of the page your talking about on my phone, appreciate it though! I used a park rod out of a 42re so I'm going to pull it back out and try one put of a 46, I should have used the 46 to start with but it was going to be more trouble to get out of the junked truck it's in...

Back