48re with manual valve body

theonlyz

professional he** raiser
School me on the advantages and disadvantages of running a full manual valve body in a 48re on the street.

Of course shifting will be controlled by the user which is good but constant shifting gets old to. What about electronics? Does the computer freak out not having control and are there codes? What would be involved in such a swap other than wiring two switches one for lock up and one for overdrive.

Thanks for any insight and help.

School me on the advantages and disadvantages of running a full manual valve body in a 48re on the street.

Of course shifting will be controlled by the user which is good but constant shifting gets old to. What about electronics? Does the computer freak out not having control and are there codes? What would be involved in such a swap other than wiring two switches one for lock up and one for overdrive.

Thanks for any insight and help.

You will have to flash the ECM to a manual, or else the ECM will lose it's mind.
I would go with a forward pattern instead of a reverse pattern VB. I have drove mine some on the street +/-100miles. Mostly track time though. I will never run anything but a manual VB for competition use anyway. Puts end control in the driver's hands, not the computer.
Hope this helps.

I've been driving my manual vb i
on the street for about a year and a half with close to 600hp for about half that. I love it, makes spooling a fairly large 66 (at 7k elevation) bearable and towing is a breeze!

Edit: mine is a 47re

Thanks guys! The ecm may need to be changed anyway as, I had a small fire that burned most of the wiring up that goes over the trans and down the drivers side. Jeff told me theres a good chance Id need to change the ecm anyways due to shorting issues after the fire. The fire is what got me thinking about going to a manual vb as I will be sending the trans back to Jeff Garmon just to get a freshen up while things are apart and being rewired.

I would have asked Jeff when I called, more about the swap but, he a busy man and his time is valueable which is why I didnt want to waste the time bugging him on details on how to do a swap. Is there any thing special that need to be done?

All help and details would be great or are there post Im missing on how to do the swap. Also do you guys have any pictures of your shifter setups. I found two or three pictures but, Id like more detail.

Thanks

I used my stock auto ecm and its been fine for the last 5 years. The ecm sifts into 4th and lockup. I wired swicthes in to have full control of the trans when I need too.

Back