4k GSK problems (kinda long but need help please)

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
I installed a 4k kit in my 215 pump yesterday (barrels turned, 100 plate, modded AFC, benched). Went pretty simple. Removed all the shims and retainers and what not and reused only the biggest idle spring and installed all the springs that came in the kit (Industrial Injection kit). When I pulled the stock ones out one side was set at 3 clicks and the other side at 1 soft click. I installed the 4k kit at 3 clicks on each side. Now time for the problems.

3 clicks on each side-Started truck and adjusted idle to 850rpm and when I revved it up it would slowly come down and hang at 1200rpm until I backed the idle adjustment screw all the way out then it would drop back to 800. Anything over 800rpm in park and it would hang at 1200rpm. Put it in drive and idle would drop to 600 and the truck would lope and cough and try to die.

3 clicks on one side and 1 soft click on the other-Same issue as above

1 soft click on one side and 3 clicks on the other side (reverse of above)-Same issue as above

4 clicks on both sides-Same hanging up and slow drop back to idle but I could put it in drive and it would hold 800rpm for about 3 seconds and then start to drop down to 600rpm

2 clicks on both sides-No problem with revving or hanging up no matter what idle speed but would drop to 600rpm in drive and lope and cough and try to die.

3 clicks on one side and 2 on the other side-Same issue as the first 4 scenarios

I gave up after that cause I ran out of day light. What's going on here? I've called everyone I know that has done these before and none of them have any clue as to what's going on. The 2 clicks was the best idling and revving of the 6 scenarios but the idle in drive sucked. Should I try 1 soft click and 2 clicks on each side or maybe 1 soft click per side? I'm lost and need this truck running by friday afternoon so I can make the dyno this weekend. Please help me!!

Giving you a bump! I have screwed around with many different gsk spring settings and have never ran into this....

From what I'm finding out its a problem with a barrel turned 215 pump.

hopefully my 215 runs good. Seth at DPE put a 4k kit in it and said he had it turning 5k on his test bench

Ok. Let me clarify, barrel turned and benched 215 pumps seem to be the pickiest due to their lighter governor assembly.

If the barrels are advanced, the rack is retarded to keep the cc's the same as before @ idle, how would this affect what you are describing? If the pump shop lowered the idle quantity by using the idle screw instead of the rack adjustment, you could have this problem.

Last edited:
Put the idle shims back in and set each side at 3 clicks and so far so good. Idles in park and drive nicely, no hanging up, revs real easily (3500rpm is WAY to easy to hit LOL ). Bout to go for a spin and see what happens.

Smokem, thanks for the clarification.

I've seen it both ways with the 215hp P7100's, seems some like the idle shims, some don't.

Well mine prefers the shims. After 8+ hours over the last 3 days I'm glad I've got this dang thing working right finally.

Back