4r100 Problems

DieselDreamerDM

Ok i got a 2001 7.3 with an auto 4r100

Has been running fine with just slightly lose or slippy shifts under towing or agressive driving

Now it suddenly lost 1st, and possible 2nd gear. Currently i can feel it lock the converter and then shift in to overdrive, these are the only two shifts the transmission is making. Very slow take offs and shifts at 35-45 mph for the first time. Tried to manually put it into 1st and the truck just reved up when givin throttle, with a strange feeling like the truck wanted to move but yet it was unable. Same with second but the truck did move but just a bit, if left in drive the truck takes off very slow, like its in a high gear.

There were a few codes thrown and here they are
P1670 Electronic Feedback Signal Not Detected
P0782 2 - 3 Shift Error
P0732 Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Since this was a sudden change in performance i was wondering if anyone new of possible eletronical issues i could have since there was no reason for this to all of the sudden happen.

Any help or input is appreciated

Last edited:
Also just to add to the mystery, the overdive off light on the shifter blinks?

I believe this all started after backing the truck up with a load on it, when i began to go forward it acted like it was in a high gear and barely dragged it self away from the trailer

Last edited:
it sounds like u might have broken the sprag or the solenoid pack is trashed had similar issues also check your vehicle speed sensor in the dif

JJeepyjohn Have you pulled the codes?

??? Yea listed them at the begining of the thread. Oh, do you mean clear the codes? yeah tried that, the P0782 and the P0732 were the only ones that came back with the drive home

Also just to add to the mystery, the overdive off light on the shifter blinks?

I believe this all started after backing the truck up with a load on it, when i began to go forward it acted like it was in a high gear and barely dragged it self away from the trailer

I think you broke a something. It's possible that the VSS (rear differential) or the OSS (output shaft) has lost signal, but in my experience the trans get's confused and shifts horribly when you loose one of those. If it's skipping gears something broke.

The OD light flashing is the trans CEL basically. When the PCM registers a trans specific code it flashes the OD light at you instead of tripping a CEL.

JJeepyjohn Have you pulled the codes?

??? Yea listed them at the begining of the thread. Oh, do you mean clear the codes? yeah tried that, the P0782 and the P0732 were the only ones that came back with the drive home

Sorry! Musta missed those..And no I didnt mean "clear the codes"Clearing the codes wont fix whats wrong..
The codes that came back show that it still has this problem.Could be the valve body,a solenoid or the wire harness..Odds are its mechanical and you'll need a tranny.
Oh,and when you become perfect be sure to let us know.

Yeah i figured it was something of that sort, as to why it was blinking. Kinda like a quit driving me light

Basically, I wish it would hit the CEL though. It's not hard to miss a flashing OD light on a bright day.

i had some of the same issues with mine it turned out to be a broken retainer clip in the cluth disk pack which let the disks warp and rubbed off all of the cluth material check your transfluid and if it has a slight blackish brown tint but is still mostly red thats your problem

Well last saturday i magicly had first and second back? Not for sure what caused this, but not complaining. Think im going truck shoppn

I think a 5k visit to BTS would be way cheaper and last way longer than a new truck.

But that's just me.

Well last saturday i magicly had first and second back? Not for sure what caused this, but not complaining. Think im going truck shoppn

:bs:

Is it still pulling good in ALL 4 gears?

I would be interested to see what A/E shows when its not working... We know what it shows when it is working,..

Back