5.9 12v vac pump to air compressor swap

gorilla550

i am looking to swap out the vac and power steering pumps on my 93 12v for my f550 swap to an air compressor and med duty steering pump anybody know if is direct bolt on or do i need to source a new gear case...

It's a direct bolt on, no need to change the the gear case, but be sure you have the rear support for the compressor if you buy it "in a pile".
They are known to be missing and they are usually specific to the compressor set-up.

I have 2 compressor set-ups here, a Tru-Flow Bendix twin and a big single from a Ford F-800 and they are quite different set-ups.

I'd also suggest that if the compressor has been sitting dry for a few years, have it pulled down and re-sealed, as they are water cooled and when those seals go bad, it dumps coolant into the crankcase.

Mark.

double check me on this. I think motor mounts on the side of the block interfere with the air compressor. I just got done with my wifes excursion and i've been looking for a 550 now too

A billet front cover is a good idea when hanging a P pump, compressor, and hyd pump on a gear housing. I've seen many of them cracked when the compressor support loosens up and nobody notices till you find oil leaking from a crack. I've put several billet front covers on JCB farm tractors because of this, though they used 2 hyd pumps on the back of the compressor, and the rear support is darn near impossible to get to.

double check me on this. I think motor mounts on the side of the block interfere with the air compressor. I just got done with my wifes excursion and i've been looking for a 550 now too

Yes, this is the case.^^^
In the medium truck applications the engines are most definitely mounted into the chassis much differently.

I looked into doing one on an old carhauler that I had and it appeared that it was going to be tricky to do, but not impossible.

I've since gotten rid of the hauler and have no interest in an O.B.A.C.

Mark.

thanks for the replies everyone...the engine mount issue was a problem that I was afraid I would run into as I would prefer to not have a front mount on the engine, but i guess I'll have to see how it goes when I swap in the rt9513 trans as I may have to anyway...guess I'll just have to worry about the air system after i get the sleeper mounted and truck mobile..

Back