5.9 cummins swap

One thing I do want to ask, how the hell do you all charge yourselves for time spent? If I wasnt spending the 40 hours working on my truck it would be spent on the couch with the laptop out. Do you charge yourself less for computer work, or more because its technical?

because the last thing I want to do is sweat my balls off covered in grease...

if I'm spending 40hrs doing manual labor, I'd better be clearing $4-5k on the job or I'm paying somebody else to do it... ain't nobody got time fo dat!

I also doubt you could do a clean OEM style swap with working dash and HVAC with only 40 man hours in it.

If you can offer me a turn-key OEM quality swap for $5k, let's get it rolling! I'll put you up in an appartment and give you $50/day per-diem. You'll be doing one truck per week (40hrs right?). Your paycheck is whatever profit you make out of that $5k.

I have 15k in my excursion total.
5300 for excursion
1100 in clutch/hydro
800 fuel system
400 exhaust
300 guages
3500 lift/wheels/tires
800 studs and valve springs
700 drive shafts/case parts
250 misc hoses
450 motor mounts and tach

In the second weekend I was driving it.

I wish I knew why people think these swaps cost so damn much.

$1200 in misc parts, hoses, coolant, blah blah

$550 for mounts and a tach kit

$000 if you use the dodge transmission

$230 to change out the transfercase input shaft

$50 in material for a downpipe

$200 at most for driveshafts

$000 for intercooler pipes, the ford units can be cut and re-welded to fit nicely

+ the cost of the engine and trans of your choosing

Basically add 3K to the price of your engine and you have the total of what is needed for the engine to be installed and running with everything working unless you want to use an auto trans, that gets tricky.

There is an 01 F250 Supercab lariat 4x4 sitting in my driveway with a 12v VE engine, NV4500, and every single aspect of the truck works like factory down to the cruise. The purchase price of the truck + the swap we have $9000 in it. I done a 2wd a few years ago that was 5k total.....including the damn truck.

IF you are a competent welder/mechanic these arent difficult at all.

One thing I do want to ask, how the hell do you all charge yourselves for time spent? If I wasnt spending the 40 hours working on my truck it would be spent on the couch with the laptop out. Do you charge yourself less for computer work, or more because its technical?

What do you charge an hour? I want to higher you full time. You will make me a very rich man.

EXACTLY! For everybody here that has repeatedly said it can not be done for under 20k....
:thankyou2:

When your dad runs out of money half way through the swap, let us know. We want pictures of the mess you guys make as well.

When your dad runs out of money half way through the swap, let us know. We want pictures of the mess you guys make as well.

Lol this should be interesting, probly Gona be one of those trucks sitting along side the road on fire cause some a$$hole doesn't know how to wire anything up properly with solder and heat shrink tubing an just gobs electrical tape everywhere

because the last thing I want to do is sweat my balls off covered in grease...

if I'm spending 40hrs doing manual labor, I'd better be clearing $4-5k on the job or I'm paying somebody else to do it... ain't nobody got time fo dat!

I also doubt you could do a clean OEM style swap with working dash and HVAC with only 40 man hours in it.

If you can offer me a turn-key OEM quality swap for $5k, let's get it rolling! I'll put you up in an appartment and give you $50/day per-diem. You'll be doing one truck per week (40hrs right?). Your paycheck is whatever profit you make out of that $5k.

What do you charge an hour? I want to higher you full time. You will make me a very rich man.

This is where the whole "HOBBY" thing comes in......I like making chit other people dont have. I see zero need for me to do a cost effectiveness study on something I like doing. BUT, if someone wants me to work on their chit, it's $50 per hour. And 40hrs......the last two were done in that or less. The first one someone does may take 60 but they will be spending as much time on here as in the shop.

You all do know what is involved with making the dash and A/C work? Very very little. In reality making the swap look close to oem is rather simple if you know how to hide wiring and can pay attention to routing on stuff.

Last edited:
Making me think how deep i am in right now .....

400 toasted CR long block found to be cracked :(
400 for dused block and head
Free Rebuilt the head myself..
800 used studs and new springs
800 sleaves and machine work
250 used freshly coated pistons
350 after market cam
800 misc cummins parts
280 oil pan
220 new adapter plate (48re)
275 flex plate
500 Lift pump, fittings, engine fuel lines
Free Marine injectors
Free Pump
700 06 ecm
800 Harness
200 Injector harnes (found the dudes orignal problem)
200 Misc Sensors
400 Bum 47re
150 Fabricated TTVA mounts
800 Destroked
400 Diesel Conversion
3900 Trans build parts
500 turbo (Want to do twins)
600 manifold
170 Fan hub
no to forget plumbing...

Travel, labor, and my time away from my wife... (some days needed)

and $14,000 later.... JESUS :charger:

AND i still need a A/C compressor & Powerstreeing........

Well I think that y'all are on two entirely different pages!! Just to put a 12v n a 6.0 truck n make it run would be alot less that putting one n and have everything under the hood nice neat and oem looking. I know some guys that stuck a 12v n from a doner truck and about tow months after the start was driving around. I also know that a guy paided Tony to put a cr n his truck and it is nice!! VERY VERY NICE!! The only way you would know it from the drivers seat was the sound n how it drove!!! N his grand total after labor was $28000. He did have a brand new engine and all but was very expensive!! Tony said he doesn't want to do anymore because of the time involved n getting everything right.

Well, I'm starting to second guess pushing forward with this...but have about had it with this 6.0....

Back